Fly Tying
wr1nkles

Homemade Tying Tools

I finally got my rosewood fly bowl done and put it to use last night.

DrNjvOQl.jpg

GsjBpCCl.jpg

This bowl is gorgeous.

Not sure my flies are worthy of such a fine vessel!

Kimo

Very nice bowl Cream, Kimo I can't think of very many things that could be prettier than some of your flies, or the Creams flies in a bowl like that.

not actually "homemade" but a typists document holder and a piece of scrapbooking paper makes an excellent fly tying profile plate and photography background

d9YG7Ux.jpg

Thats perfect. Simple and small to store

I make bobbin holders. I like one for each type of chenille etc. have made nearly a hundred of them. Don't suggest them for floss or anything fragile. hard to get a good edge on the tube. a good enamel helps (glass) but its such a pia to do the enameling, and the tube isn't as hard after the enamel is fired. don't bother with something like paint enamel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3u9c28po0tw8qw/IMG_20190117_114628958_HDR.jpg?dl=0

RJ

I make bobbin holders. I like one for each type of chenille etc. have made nearly a hundred of them. Don't suggest them for floss or anything fragile. hard to get a good edge on the tube. a good enamel helps (glass) but its such a pia to do the enameling, and the tube isn't as hard after the enamel is fired. don't bother with something like paint enamel.

RJ

I never thought to put chenille on a bobbin. I'm def. doing this from now on. They should sell it all like that! Thanks for the tip.

RJ

I never thought to put chenille on a bobbin. I'm def. doing this from now on. They should sell it all like that! Thanks for the tip.

They make bobbin with extra large tubes .. you would have to spool your chenille on spools I have done this many of times when I was only tying jigs it saves time if your tying a lot of jigs

Steve-stabgnid

I put all my cheniles on sewing machine bobbins, have done for about forty years now. yarns too, and even the fine electric copper wire that I use in the pheasant tail has a bobbin, it gets a dedicated bobbin holder.

RJ

They make bobbin with extra large tubes .. you would have to spool your chenille on spools I have done this many of times when I was only tying jigs it saves time if your tying a lot of jigs

Steve-stabgnid

I actually like making the bobbins. lol. Its a strange sort of fun. and I can whip out 30 in a night now I know how to streamline it.

first post with pics, testing sizing etc. Here are a few wire tools. First dubbing needle is bought then modified with wood handle added. The middle, dubbing needle with dubbing spinning tool and loop for twisted herl, etc. Wire tools make from 1/16" stainless steel tig welding wire. Sharpened end using drill running with wire against belt sander then polished on 600 then 1200 grit sandpaper paper.

post-62100-0-43029300-1549504132_thumb.jpg

I have been tying on a Xuron vise since about 1980 and decided to upgrade to a rotary about a year ago. Incorporated parts of several vise designs after a lot of thought. Jaws are heat treated O1 tool steel, shank and barrel are stainless steel. ball bearing tig welded to shank for articulation, Delrin for bearing for rotary parts. Decided to try lever that can be positioned in one of 4 orientations instead of star wheel. May change that up in the future. Still need to find the right size "O" ring to put in between jaws to act as spring to open jaws. They self open a little but not much room for a compression spring in there. Used 5/16" #18 for thread pitch but would probably use coarser pitch if I make another set of jaws as faster close up would be nicer. Actually made 2 vises at the same time, one for my son. Used a small milling machine, metal lathe and drill press. I must be doing something wrong with pics and the attachment tab does not sow up unless I post, then go back and edit post unless that is how site is set up?

post-62100-0-62834600-1549504808_thumb.jpg

post-62100-0-81728400-1549504830_thumb.jpg

post-62100-0-92191100-1549504849_thumb.jpg

post-62100-0-52307700-1549504885_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gif tools 1 thumbnail_KIMG0559.jpgfirst post with pics, testing sizing etc. Here are a few wire tools. First dubbing needle is bought then modified with wood handle added. The middle, dubbing needle with dubbing spinning tool and loop for twisted herl, etc. Wire tools make from 1/16" stainless steel tig welding wire. Sharpened end using drill running with wire against belt sander then polished on 600 then 1200 grit sandpaper paper.

I have been tying on a Xuron vise since about 1980 and decided to upgrade to a rotary about a year ago. Incorporated parts of several vise designs after a lot of thought. Jaws are heat treated O1 tool steel, shank and barrel are stainless steel. ball bearing tig welded to shank for articulation, Delrin for bearing for rotary parts. Decided to try lever that can be positioned in one of 4 orientations instead of star wheel. May change that up in the future. Still need to find the right size "O" ring to put in between jaws to act as spring to open jaws. They self open a little but not much room for a compression spring in there. Used 5/16" #18 for thread pitch but would probably use coarser pitch if I make another set of jaws as faster close up would be nicer. Actually made 2 vises at the same time, one for my son. Used a small milling machine, metal lathe and drill press. I must be doing something wrong with pics and the attachment tab does not sow up unless I post, then go back and edit post unless that is how site is set up?

That's awesome. Making your own vise isn't something just anyone could say. Now it just needs a name!

attachicon.gif tools 1 thumbnail_KIMG0559.jpgfirst post with pics, testing sizing etc. Here are a few wire tools. First dubbing needle is bought then modified with wood handle added. The middle, dubbing needle with dubbing spinning tool and loop for twisted herl, etc. Wire tools make from 1/16" stainless steel tig welding wire. Sharpened end using drill running with wire against belt sander then polished on 600 then 1200 grit sandpaper paper.

I need to make some of these as well. Every time I go to making a dubbing loop i just get frustrated doing it without the right tools.