Fly Tying
wr1nkles

Homemade Tying Tools

Thanks Mike. I forgot to add that I found a cheaper, as in free, alternative for the non skid protective pad on the base. An old mouse pad. Works great at protecting the finish of what ever the vise is sitting on and it doesn't budge even a hairs width.

Not sure if this counts, but I made a fish hook/bead bowl in tinkercad and then printed it out. Underneath, there is a magnet to help keep the hooks in place. So far it works great, im thinking about smoothing the surfaces out more and make it stackable.

6qmqzzjp16u31.png

Once I get it where I'm really happy with it, ill post it on thingiverse for others to download and print.

Charles

Not sure if this counts, but I made a fish hook/bead bowl in tinkercad and then printed it out. Underneath, there is a magnet to help keep the hooks in place. So far it works great, im thinking about smoothing the surfaces out more and make it stackable.

6qmqzzjp16u31.png

Once I get it where I'm really happy with it, ill post it on thingiverse for others to download and print.

Charles

I've got some containers like the following ones (sorry, I couldn't post the image directly). Advantages: Transparent and threaded. I use them for various types of flies--streamers in one, etc. Not small enough for carrying to the stream, but convenient enough for carrying to the car. I tried using a magnetic bowl from Harbor Freight around my fly tying table, but IIRC, it was "squashing" the flies that I put in it so I gave up on it in a few minutes. I'll keep my eyes open for a nice piece of styrofoam. Anyway, just thought I would add this input to your design process. -Bill.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Storage-Box-Tray-30-Round-Stackable-Clear-Containers-Beads-Makeup-tools-CTNB099-/161172087548

I was going through boxes of stuff looking for acetate floss and I came across this spool holder that some body made. It's just some peg board with the fluted 1/4 inch dowels made for wood joinery. It's pretty simple and seems to work.

DSCF4169-X2.jpg

DSCF4170-XL.jpg

I was going through boxes of stuff looking for acetate floss and I came across this spool holder that some body made. It's just some peg board with the fluted 1/4 inch dowels made for wood joinery. It's pretty simple and seems to work.

DSCF4169-X2.jpg

DSCF4170-XL.jpg

I have many square feet of and dowels as well.

I had a free 15 minutes and a Chinese food container handle so I made a dubbing loop spinner. Now what to do with it.

dubspinner.jpg

With wire bending skills like that you should be making retainers for kids braces!

1 hour ago, Meeshka said:

With wire bending skills like that you should be making retainers for kids braces!

I'll take a new one, old one got cracked 😂

1 hour ago, Meeshka said:

I've paid for three sets of braces that's why I'm reduced to bending Chinese food container handles into tools. 

29 minutes ago, Landon P said:

I'll take a new one, old one got cracked 😂

Order yourself some moogoo gai pan and while your eating clip the handle off the container, hammer two nails into a block of wood, make a few bends, throw a worm weight over the end, peen the little end a tad and finish your dinner. Painting the weight can be done while digesting before dessert. 

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I've paid for three sets of braces that's why I'm reduced to bending Chinese food container handles into tools. 

Order yourself some moogoo gai pan and while your eating clip the handle off the container, hammer two nails into a block of wood, make a few bends, throw a worm weight over the end, peen the little end a tad and finish your dinner. Painting the weight can be done while digesting before dessert. 

So you drilled the "worm weight" to the diameter of your wire?  That sounds like the "tough part".  But lead is supposed to be soft, so...hmm (I never tried drilling it) ?  I like your "Can-Do" attitude!  So far, I have used a larger pair of hackle pliers for a "loop spinner so I actually don't know what I'm missing, but I don't do it that often.  We are quickly approaching that time of the year where I think more about tying.  I guess I should blow the leaves out of the eaves first..lol  : )

Nope, worm weights come predrilled. Stick the wire through the hole and bend or peen the end to keep the weight from sliding off. 

I did not make this bowl. A friend of mine did. He left the square bottom on it so I use it as a fly bowl. The material holder spring on the vise is just a random stainless steel spring from home depot. I used thread to wrap it in place.  I also have a really small screwdriver  that I bent the end into a hook shape. I use it as a dubbing spinner.  

The other thing is what I use to let Fly cement dry. It is a Pen shaft with a Zip tie running from an AR15 strap mount up through the top and back down. I just put the hook in the opening and slide the shaft up to lock it into place. the metal Strap mount counter balances it all and keeps it standing up straight.

DSC_0039.jpeg

DSC_0062.jpeg

DSC_0040.jpeg