Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

automatic fly reels

A friend of mine had one back in the 60s, but after hooking himself a few times, he tossed it and switched back to a standard reel. Those things can be dangerous if you accidentally bump the trigger with the fly in your hand. Automatic reels didn't stay on the market long, and that's probably why. Even back then, they were more of a curiosity than anything else. They had their (brief) day, and they didn't cut it; more or less a solution looking for a problem.

Peterjay. at least one brand is still on the market. Auto reels first became popular in the 1880s (1881 patent, iitc) and have been on the market continuously since, and that makes about a hundred fifteen years of automatic reel use; a lot longer than most modern reels..

If you have properly released the tension with over a rod's length of line out there is no way the reel can pull the hook into you or snap the rod tip off as many have said could happen. Many things are dangerous if used improperly.

I have a couple that I have never used. Put them on the shelf with other curios. I might get one out for Bream next spring. Thanks for the post.