Fly Tying
Moshup

Feather Thief

"I have to agree with you that you are not a serious fly tier."

Thank you, Joe. Thank you very much !!!

Ha ha ha ... I'm in California ... in a hotel. wink.png

Since 2002, I've spent more time travelling than most people can even dream about. Been to 18 different Countries and all 50 United States. happy.png

I think I "get out in the real world" more than enough. tongue.png

I do a ton of reading, in these hotel rooms, too. Although, I must admit, not quite as much as I used to. dry.png

Still ... it's just a book. One of millions of books. I am SURE I'll not be any wiser if I read it, nor any less if I don't. rolleyes.gif

How did reading this book improve your life? How have you as readers benefited from the knowledge you gained from Johnson's life work? In what way will it enrich My life to read it?

It is a "good read", "well written"; so is a Medical Journal if you like that sort of thing.

If we are going to judge ability to tie flies by the pulp literature that is read, will you fire your doctor if you find out he/she has not read Green Hills of Africa? To read or not to read any book for entertainment is of about as much importance as choosing whether to watch golf or swimming on TV.

So who is would be a more serious tyer, a person that has read The Hobbit or a person who has read God's Little Acre? How about Finnegan's Wake, would that elevate a flytyer to Master status?

Design of Building Trusses by James Ambrose is said to be a well written and informative book, and it certainly holds more interest for me than Feather Thief.

I bought the book, read it, and really found it fascinating. It surprised me of how accomplished Rist became as a tyer in a short time, especially for a younger man who had no interest in fishing or had ever simply cast a fly rod. In my opinion he got off way too easy for the value of property involved and his lack of remorse.

I've read few books that "improved my life." That's not why I read books. For me, the book informed me about obsession that led to crime, which is of interest to me. Also, it's about a certain type of fly tying, a type totally unknown to me but very interesting. So while it didn't improve my life, it added to my knowledge, which is worth something.

In my area of PA, and I guess in many areas of the country, we now have forests of wind generators. They are notorious for killing birds. Here's the irony; if you find a dead bird of prey ( or any protected bird ) on the ground below the propeller, since they are a totally protected species ( ALL OF THEM ), you cannot take them for their feathers; since you may not be able to prove you found them dead. More insane regulations. The last thing I would do is harm a bird of prey; since I have too much respect for nature. I have found several different species of hawk; but I have never ever found an owl. I think an owl has a better navigation system built in. I posted this at 2:10 Eastern. I don't know where the 7:02 PM came from. Well, it ain't a perfect world. Jim

Even if you could prove they were dead when you found them, the feathers of raptors and even some other birds are illegal to possess. Shed feathers, likewise. When I was in CA, you couldn't possess a seagull feather that you found on a public beach. Most feathers come from dead birds. Except molting feathers, of course.

This continues to be a problem for classic tiers,hard to prove your stock was legally acquired. You buy at shows and from reputable sellers on forums or online. Look today on e-bay, birds skins taxidermy, "found dead" being sold from Venezuela, legal ?. Rist hurt our community and I have no sympathy for him. Mr. Johnson's public rants and accusations on line and in public went beyond an author investigating a story, as if he was to right the wrong that the courts did not. Right or wrong Rist's lawyer's pleaded his defense having a mental illness (explaining his lack of remorse and irrational thinking of the crime) that tied the courts hands. Would it be a better book if all the skins had been returned unharmed ? If Edwin was given a life sentence? The book probably would not have been written. Today it is more difficult and expensive to try getting into the art of classic tying, including tying with quality substitutes.

I'm not one, but as applied to salmon tying, it appears to be using all natural materials to tie patterns originated in England/Scotland in the late 19th century. And feathers from that era when exotic feathers were harvested for fashion accessories Very ornate and beautiful. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Gene L is correct salmon fishing was for the privileged, Lords and gentlemen of Europe, fly patterns where ornate and not available to the commoner. Today classic patterns are tied as art few would fish full dressed patterns that had exotic materials they are usually framed and sold or collected.Look at the FlyTying.World or Classicflytying.com and salmonfishingforum.com for examples. Some material is available today but many are on the endangered list and are found from old millinery trade and vintage collections and molted birds. Herters and other mail order houses used to sell condor, bustard, bali duck, swan, polar bear, seal etc up until mid 60's and most ending by 1972. Additionally most songbirds and raptors are protected. Supplies still come from other countries with legal harvesting although importing is another matter.

Thanks for the replies; I wasn't sure if it had to do with the Pattern ("dressing"), or the Materials used.

It's much clearer now. I'm glad there are modern alternatives for those Vintage materials, and those intricately dressed examples shown in the monthly FFTV Forum look like fine Art!

:P

Even if you could prove they were dead when you found them, the feathers of raptors and even some other birds are illegal to possess. Shed feathers, likewise. When I was in CA, you couldn't possess a seagull feather that you found on a public beach. Most feathers come from dead birds. Except molting feathers, of course.

I once had a Ringneck Pheasant bounce off my truck. Bird was out of season; but it was just so exceptionally large & so beautiful, I contacted the game commission, and I was permitted to have it mounted.