Fly Tying
DarrellP

What are your favorite materials to tie with?

I threw up in my mouth a little after seeing that. Gonna quit fussing about my daughter's boyfriend. Actually he is okay for a left pinko commie labor union organizer.

I use the kids hair stuff a lot even spin it for hackle and I'm flash crazy. But prolly have to say which comes first thread or hook. This stuff too diverse for one thing.

IMG-4456.jpg

IMG-5140.jpg

Hi group,

I'm kind of partial to elk, moose, and deer hair along with Whiting saddle hackle (Humpies, Wulffs, EHC, etc.). Take care & ...

Thanks for commenting. I met you when you were demonstration tying at a tying show, several years ago. You stood out as a very friendly and informative tyer. You showed me how to palmer a feather with a rotating vise. Nice to have professional and famous tyers on this site.

I don't know if this counts as a "material" per se -- kind of a cross between a material and a tool, I guess: Prismacolor markers. I LOVE those things! Because of them, I will probably never again buy dyed hackle, and far less dyed synthetic hair than I might otherwise. Material in white + marker of choice is all I need. Ditto foam popper bodies, and, for that matter, tying thread.

there are plenty of materials that I like working with, but I'd be a sad puppy without my markers. :)

Agree. Coloring thread is a neat trick that I use when I want a light body or a red tag and a dark head on the fly. Saves having to tie off one color and tie in the new.

I don't know if this counts as a "material" per se -- kind of a cross between a material and a tool, I guess: Prismacolor markers. I LOVE those things! Because of them, I will probably never again buy dyed hackle, and far less dyed synthetic hair than I might otherwise. Material in white + marker of choice is all I need. Ditto foam popper bodies, and, for that matter, tying thread.

there are plenty of materials that I like working with, but I'd be a sad puppy without my markers. :)

The Sand color marker makes a real difference on Killer Bugs, especially if the Yarn color is lighter.

:P

there are plenty of materials that I like working with, but I'd be a sad puppy without my markers. smile.png

The Sand color marker makes a real difference on Killer Bugs, especially if the Yarn color is lighter.

tongue.png

Similar idea -- I take a plain grizzly dry fly hackle, hit it with a very light tan, and I've got a "poor man's Cree". Real Cree enthusiasts will cringe at such a heresy, no doubt, but it works for me. :)

I use lots of stretch nylon, x-small wire, super fine dubbing, and grizzly hen hackle from immature capes. The one material I have come to love is Benecchi 12/0 thread...I know there other very fine threads out there, I just haven't tried them yet.