Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

How to store big streamers

I believe OfficeMax was purchased by Office Depot who in turn was purchased by Viking Office Supplies in Sweden. Or something like that.

I use one of these, it's great for big streamers you aren't worried about squishing https://www.caddisflyshop.com/fishpond-sushi-roll.html

I've been thinking of getting one of those. Which size do you use? How many streamers does it hold (approx)? Would you recommend it?

I have several, my favorite is 5" X 10", has 13 different slots and can carry as many flies as you'd like to put in there depending on their size. I generally put one of my largest flies in each slot if they have trailing (stinger) hooks so they don't get tangled. I put several of the smaller flies in there together. I have some that are bigger and some that are smaller.

DSCF2760-XL.jpg

DSCF2759-XL.jpg

DSCF2758-XL.jpg

I believe OfficeMax was purchased by Office Depot who in turn was purchased by Viking Office Supplies in Sweden. Or something like that.

Yes, my wife mentioned all the corporate over-takings but the name on our store never changed.

Thanks Mark

You're welcomed, it occurs to me that you were actually asking Vicente about the sushi roll. I'm sorry I stepped on the question.

I've never used the sushi roll but I have some concerns about it. It appears to be a spongy material and looks like it would absorb water and since it's round, I'm afraid it would roll off the seat of my boat while I was negotiating some kind of rough water, and roll around on the floor till it had mopped up the floor sufficiently to become totally saturated.

Anybody have any experience with the sushi roll? Vicente what's your experience? Again, sorry I stepped on Sandan's question.

I'm trying to remember what size I have I think it's the small or medium I am not sure exactly how many flies it would hold, I have all my streamers from the articulated swap a few years ago plus some others.

it's very well made, it is a bit spongy I don't think it would absorb water very quickly though, I usually am fishing from foot or a canoe so it falling in the water is no more of a concern than I would have with any other box. I am happy with it and would buy again it's an easy to carry package that will hold a lot of streamers safely and neatly I would buy it again.

I'm trying to remember what size I have I think it's the small or medium I am not sure exactly how many flies it would hold, I have all my streamers from the articulated swap a few years ago plus some others.

it's very well made, it is a bit spongy I don't think it would absorb water very quickly though, I usually am fishing from foot or a canoe so it falling in the water is no more of a concern than I would have with any other box. I am happy with it and would buy again it's an easy to carry package that will hold a lot of streamers safely and neatly I would buy it again.

Vicente, Mark. Thanks for your input both of you. I'm mostly a wade fisherman so my streamer solution needs to fit in one of the pockets in my vest. Right now I'm using a plastic box with foam that's slotted to hold the hooks. I can get a bunch of streamers in it but they get disorganized and in the tight confines of the box it's tough to get articulated streamers in without tangling with the non articulated ones. Hmmm, maybe I have too many in the box and need another.

Vicente, Mark. Thanks for your input both of you. I'm mostly a wade fisherman so my streamer solution needs to fit in one of the pockets in my vest. Right now I'm using a plastic box with foam that's slotted to hold the hooks. I can get a bunch of streamers in it but they get disorganized and in the tight confines of the box it's tough to get articulated streamers in without tangling with the non articulated ones. Hmmm, maybe I have too many in the box and need another.

Yes, more boxes, and more pockets on your waders.smile.png Have fun.