Fly Tying
Lucian.Vasies

Zebra midges - your favorite version?

But, but, but it's not black nor red...looks like it does have the fluffy white gills tho

They think 10,000 species world wide and over 3,500 species in N,America. some have distinctly raised "ribs".

I call it pupa also.

RE> all that (natural) contrast

Shut my mouth. I've netted and photographed lots of bugs but not like those. Perhaps I need to look at them closer to hatch time?

Thanks Mike, that does answer it. I thought possibly the photo might be altered to achieve that effect... I've seen only underwater pics before, and streamside, and I've always known about the trapped air, but until seeing that photo haven't fully understood how much their bodies really do glisten with that trapped air.

@tjm, same, I guess the flash / lighting really brings that out when they're out of water

Easy to see why Phil Rowley's Chromie works so well.

(Image from Fly Craft Angling)

img-Chromie.jpg

Some great patterns in this one, as this style is one that works! The Zebra I have fished for the last year was shared with me by Jake Adamerovich of Competitive Angler, and there's just a couple changes from the original.

Tim