Fly Tying
DarrellP

Do you tie your own patterns, published patterns or variants?

I guess I was referring to intent. Are you copying a pattern, changing it, or trying to make an original pattern? No two flies are the same, but the "Adams" that you buy is very different than what Halladay tied. Different hook, body, tail, and wing set.

if you dont trim the fur from a hares mask and use packaged dubbing is it still a gold ribbed hares ear?

i tie from established recipes. i also substitute hard to find materials but not to the point that the fly is unrecognizable from the original. if i cant find a substitue i dont tie it

dyed black squirrel tail is an acceptable substitute for bear hair for wings and is often mentioned in recipes. bucktai for polar bear (hard to find)

i dont tie any pike flies using 15 hackle feathers and a 10 inches of ep fibers :)

I for one would like to see pictures of some original flies. I'm pretty sure they look very much like something else. theres only so many ways fur and feathers can be wrapped on a hook and they've all been covered a thousand times over. The only thing that could change is the material such as craft fur instead of bucktail, synthetic this or that, a new tangled tungsten bead shaped like a fish head or some UV resin heads instead of a brass bead.

I for one would like to see pictures of some original flies. I'm pretty sure they look very much like something else. theres only so many ways fur and feathers can be wrapped on a hook and they've all been covered a thousand times over. The only thing that could change is the material such as craft fur instead of bucktail, synthetic this or that, a new tangled tungsten bead shaped like a fish head or some UV resin heads instead of a brass bead.

Hi Mr Deck, It's an interesting question and one I've been thinking about quite a lot lately, mostly because of this thread. What is an original? I didn't want to high-jack this thread with my thoughts on the question so I was (am) going to start another thread with the title "What is an original". In answer to your request to see some pictures of original flies I humbly refer you to that thread.

This has certainly caused more "philosophical " discussions than I expected. This type of discussion is interesting to me.

I agree that there are only so many ways to put materials on a hook. However, when something new comes along like dumbell eyes, foam popper heads, etc, it starts something new.

I am not an expert, but here are my thoughts:

If you follow a pattern, you are tying a published pattern.

If you tie it similar to the pattern but substitute materials or puposefully change it in some way, you are tying a variant.

If you make up something that you haven't seen, it is creative, whether or not someone else has tied it.

Anyway, that was what I had in mind when I asked the question.

Most of my flies are copies or variants. In specific, I tie a lot of old wet flies. I get a kick out of catching fish on a two hundred year old pattern.

New fly design, as Popovichs said, should solve a problem.

Hats off to you outside the box tiers.

Hi Mr Deck, It's an interesting question and one I've been thinking about quite a lot lately, mostly because of this thread. What is an original? I didn't want to high-jack this thread with my thoughts on the question so I was (am) going to start another thread with the title "What is an original". In answer to your request to see some pictures of original flies I humbly refer you to that thread.

Please, call me Poopy.

if you dont trim the fur from a hares mask and use packaged dubbing is it still a gold ribbed hares ear?

i tie from established recipes. i also substitute hard to find materials but not to the point that the fly is unrecognizable from the original. if i cant find a substitue i dont tie it

dyed black squirrel tail is an acceptable substitute for bear hair for wings and is often mentioned in recipes. bucktai for polar bear (hard to find)

i dont tie any pike flies using 15 hackle feathers and a 10 inches of ep fibers smile.png

post-63811-0-78003800-1543411124_thumb.jpg

Please, call me Poopy.

Well, that sounds just a little informal.