Fly Tying
wr1nkles

Wading in Caribbean for Bones

Solid advice.. If the fish turn away or spook away as your fly lands... before changing out the pattern... simply go with the same pattern in a smaller size and be willing to not only go to a lighter tippet (I've gone all the way down to 8lb tippet at times...) but also consider a bit longer leader.... I know the fish in the Caribbean aren't particularly hard to feed - but I'm used to really spooky, very experienced bonefish in Biscayne Bay - where each bonefish ought to have a first name - they've been caught and released enough times to be hard to feed most days....

For bonefish, the majority of the time you are sight fishing them in pretty shallow water. The bottom there is mostly sand, making it extremely easy to see fish. I guess you could blind cast, but I would find some deeper water or a flat next to a channel on a moving tide.

Make sure to bring a variety of patterns in sizes 4-8, as well as some different weights. The flies you described are perfect, no reason to to with something else. Make sure to use a fairly light tippet (12lb fluorocarbon being my favorite) and a tapered leader for the best casting performance.

Thanks FlatsRoamer.

I should have specified when I asked about blind casting from shore. I didn't mean to target bonefish, but something else like Jacks.

Solid advice.. If the fish turn away or spook away as your fly lands...

Is it possible you're just landing the fly too close to the fish. I believe I read it somewhere, you might have to lead them far enough to let the fly settle before the fish get to it. I think it's one of the similarities between Bone Fish and Carp, they don't like things coming in from over head, preferring to feed from the bottom.