Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

I don't like my dubbing loop spinner.

renzetti version of the turkey skewer renzetti-renzetti-dubbing-twister__59892 41boJVylbLL._AC_US218_.jpg

Frank Matarelli made one similar, I've also seen one that used the straight end as a half hitch tool rather than bodkin. I don't like the big glob spinner that most guys apparently do or the loose handle that some tools have. A single hook or loop lets the twist be tighter at the end and thus the tool can't fall off; with the two point tool I would make the loop longer than the dubbed part so that the thread can bind to the tool or use pliers to hold and wind as suggested.

https://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/dubbing-techniques

https://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingstore.com/fly-tying/fly-tying-tools/dubbing-tools

Those Dubbit tools are sold at most suppliers.

I use the Dr. Slick dubbing spinner, when I use a dubbing loop. I like it a lot, and have fun demonstrating it.

Gary Borger has switched his tool/technique, a bit. Last year, at the Fly Fishing Show, he was demonstrating this tool from Ikea:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30301167/?query=PRODUKT&icid=iba|us|unbxdsuggestion|201811132211556208_1

He cut the end off, and bent the shaft into a hook. Cute, and he obviously was having fun with it. Still, I like the brass spinner. It's fun too....

I attach hackle pliers to the bottom thread-only part of the loop and spin those, twisting at the jaws of the hackle pliers hard and fast like snapping your thumb. I have two or three loop twisting tools and they all piss me off.

For most of my needs creating a dubbing loop
using the split thread method a heavy bobbin

is sufficient. The bobbin I use are the C&F bobbins for their weight.

CF_Design_CFT-60_Standard_Bobbin_With_Th
For heavier applications such as composite loops I use the
bobbin from OPST. I have modified it by adding weight to the
spinning handle and added a double hook to it.

387554245.jpg

I also like the one that SilverCreek suggests.
I can play with that thing for hours using
it as a fidget spinner.

Kimo

I use the Dr. Slick dubbing spinner, when I use a dubbing loop. I like it a lot, and have fun demonstrating it.

Gary Borger has switched his tool/technique, a bit. Last year, at the Fly Fishing Show, he was demonstrating this tool from Ikea:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30301167/?query=PRODUKT&icid=iba|us|unbxdsuggestion|201811132211556208_1

He cut the end off, and bent the shaft into a hook. Cute, and he obviously was having fun with it. Still, I like the brass spinner. It's fun too....

That is too funny.

Thanks for all the help everybody. I haven't made up my mind yet but I'm getting closer. Nothing says I have to get just one. Thanks again.

Here's what I use... sad but true.... I'm feeling a little under-equipped in this crowd...

post-60546-0-96825900-1544031567_thumb.jpg

But hey, it does get the job done.

If you do not use loops much, anything will work including test clips, paper clips, hackle pliers, etc. If you use them a lot, then a designated tool is much more useful, and you want something that spins easily and fast. Like Scott, I like something with ball bearings. While the Dubbit tools is OK, I found the Dyna King Dubbing Spin Master to be the best I've played with so far. I insisted for years that it was an unnecessary extravagance, and now I could not live without it. Pricey, yes, but gets the job done whether tying large or small patterns. Tie a few mohair leech patterns with one, and you will immediately see the advantage. YMMV.

I don't like "light" for a spinner. I'm accustom to being able to "hard and fast like snapping your thumb" (as salmobytes says) and letting the tool spin a few dozen times. You can't get that reaction with a light tool.

I don't like "light" for a spinner. I'm accustom to being able to "hard and fast like snapping your thumb" (as salmobytes says) and letting the tool spin a few dozen times. You can't get that reaction with a light tool.

Good stuff, thanks guys.

Here's what I use... sad but true.... I'm feeling a little under-equipped in this crowd...

attachicon.gif terra-deluxe-hook-dubbing-loop-tool_1.jpg

But hey, it does get the job done.

I think heavier fits my style better, and probably two hooks, but I'm going to try this style, too. Thanks