Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

I don't like my dubbing loop spinner.

@Kimo, "no" to which question? They seem to want opposing answers?

3rd question

Kimo

What he said. Touch dubbing is really a different technique used to achieve a different goal than a dubbing loop. While on smaller flies you might go to a split thread technique in lieu of a dubbing loop, I use loops down to #18 myself.

Here’s my ghetto one. It’s served me well for 40+ years.

I wrapped the handle in lead to add a little weight.

I have been eyeballing that OPST one for awhile now.

I’ll probably pull the trigger on it someday just cause I’m a gadget nut.

16-D4761-E-4-CA2-4-A6-B-ADA3-F895-EE48-C

Here’s my ghetto one. It’s served me well for 40+ years.

I wrapped the handle in lead to add a little weight.

I have been eyeballing that OPST one for awhile now.

I’ll probably pull the trigger on it someday just cause I’m a gadget nut.

16-D4761-E-4-CA2-4-A6-B-ADA3-F895-EE48-C

Mike,

This is how I have modified mine.

I added more weight, did a double-hook on the wire

and added a rubber cap to make it easier to spin.

opst.jpg

Kimo

I ordered a few different kinds to try, I will let you know what I think after I try them out. Thanks everybody for your input.

Ever tried this method of adding dubbing by the late Norm Norlander? Doesnt use any tools and is brilliant!

https://youtu.be/39xvJCfd4Js

That just blew me away. I bet I can do that with my new HMH TRV, with some practice. Now what am I gunna do with the dubbing spinners that just came in the mail today?

I was at a show years ago and watched Mr. Norlander demonstrate is tying "system". It was amazing.

I tried his dubbing technique on my Griffin rotary. Yes, it can be done, not nearly as fast. For it to be really effective, the vise needs to spin.

For a conventional rotary vise to spin, the offset in the arm will create an imbalance condition. May not be very pleasant.

I've kinda wanted a Norvise for many years, Santa isn't listening. I don't understand what's wrong with the Norvise, but apparently something is because people keep buying other vises at the same price point and higher.

Tricks like that are why the Norvise worth the money. No other vise does that, as far as my research shows.

I first saw Norm and the Nor-vise back in the early 1990s. Bought mine right out of his hands at the end of the show. Yes, I use the same single thread method for spinning dubbing, and I use the split thread method using the auto-bobbin (also from Nor-vise,) for the weight. The bobbing spins very well. That's about all I need.

I use this one bellow. I love it because is spinning fast, easy to work with and durable. It is a life time tool. I will never go back on those cheap indian tools

twister2_1.jpg