Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

I don't like my dubbing loop spinner.

Has anyone tried the Petitjean twister? I like that you use the same twister both to spin the dubbing rope and to then wrap the loop without having to take it off the twister to wrap the dubbing.

Has anyone tried the Petitjean twister? I like that you use the same twister both to spin the dubbing rope and to then wrap the loop without having to take it off the twister to wrap the dubbing.

That's what I have been doing with my spinner but it's a little awkward to use, and it drops the loop if I'm not careful. I sure like the way the Petitjean worked.

Hmmmmmm, maybe this will be my next diy project. I know I got some skate bearing around somewhere but I will have to order some shrimp fried rice so I can use the handle wire from the container.

I love those motorized dubbing brush makers and really appreciate some of the great effects that can be created with them.

Unfortunately, I rarely have a need for anything that substantial, meeting most of my requirements just using the split-thread method, letting the bobbin do double-duty as the dubbing twister. When I do need a full blown dubbing loop, I found a cool little gadget that, with a few small modifications, does a great job - a battery powered baby formula mixer.

IMG_6178_zpscf5e71e8.jpg

I cut off the end of the plastic wand and inserted a de-barbed, dulled-down Tiemco 200 hook (broke the eye off) into a pre-drilled hole with a little epoxy

IMG_6179_zps9bd2c6a3.jpg

quick demo (just used some rabbit dubbing here; you can use other materials to make some interesting effects)

create loop and insert dubbing

IMG_6172_zpsd84d770b.jpg

insert hook in the end of the loop

IMG_6173_zpsc33493b4.jpg

a couple quick blips (not sure of the rpms but it spins pretty quickly) and it's tight

IMG_6174_zps9e95bb89.jpg

take your favorite dubbing teaser (a velcro'd popsicle stick works great) and rough it up a bit

IMG_6175_zpsf641f912.jpg

IMG_6180_zps182aa102.jpg

wrap the body, tie off and rough it up a little more as needed

IMG_6177_zps0c9bbb6a.jpg

The mixer set me back about $6 and 15 minutes to put it together; you can find them at any of those baby superstores. Note - you can change the rotation direction by reversing the batteries.

Regards,

Scott

I love those motorized dubbing brush makers and really appreciate some of the great effects that can be created with them.

Unfortunately, I rarely have a need for anything that substantial, meeting most of my requirements just using the split-thread method, letting the bobbin do double-duty as the dubbing twister. When I do need a full blown dubbing loop, I found a cool little gadget that, with a few small modifications, does a great job - a battery powered baby formula mixer.

I cut off the end of the plastic wand and inserted a de-barbed, dulled-down Tiemco 200 hook (broke the eye off) into a pre-drilled hole with a little epoxy

quick demo (just used some rabbit dubbing here; you can use other materials to make some interesting effects)

create loop and insert dubbing

insert hook in the end of the loop

a couple quick blips (not sure of the rpms but it spins pretty quickly) and it's tight

take your favorite dubbing teaser (a velcro'd popsicle stick works great) and rough it up a bit

wrap the body, tie off and rough it up a little more as needed

The mixer set me back about $6 and 15 minutes to put it together; you can find them at any of those baby superstores. Note - you can change the rotation direction by reversing the batteries.

Regards,

Scott

Very cool. Maybe I need one of those.

This is an aside of sorts. If you wind a dubbing loop loosely with just a few turns the loop has a different appearance than a tightly wound loop. But if you then wind that loosely-twisted loop on the hook the resulting fibers too often don't stay put.

You can do two things to solve that dublemma. One you can wet the two thread legs of the loop with fabric cement prior to loading it with fuzz and two you can wet the shank with a thin layer of fabric cement prior to winding the loosely twisted loop. Now you get to work with loosely twisted dubbing loops, and still end up with a durable fly.

Some times, I use a technique where you start the dub at the top of the thread but keep the rest in a bunch. Catch the dub under a couple wraps and let the spool hang. Start wrapping while holding the bunch of dubbing and the thread. As you wrap, the dubbing will twist and form a tight wrapped body. Then I use a brush to pick out the guard hairs and dub as needed. With a little practice, thickness and density can be adjusted.

Although this meets most dubbing needs, there are times when a dubbing loop is required. In those cases, I either use the split thread method or make a loop and spin it with a small loop spinner or hackle plier.

When I started tying I bought a Turbo dubbing spinner. I really like it but if I could change anything it would be shorten the handle by about an inch. It's nice and heavy, has three different heads. It also doesn't cost an arm and a leg like too many other tools currently on the market.

45304717025_5089bd967b.jpg

Am I missing something here? Is a dubbing loop needed for anything smaller than, say, a size 14 or so fly? Isn't touch dubbing sufficient for smaller flies?

Am I missing something here? Is a dubbing loop needed for anything smaller than, say, a size 14 or so fly? Isn't touch dubbing sufficient for smaller flies?

No

Kimo

When I started tying I bought a Turbo dubbing spinner. I really like it but if I could change anything it would be shorten the handle by about an inch. It's nice and heavy, has three different heads. It also doesn't cost an arm and a leg like too many other tools currently on the market.

45304717025_5089bd967b.jpg

This is one I am looking at.