Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on?

Today I worked on the hair body flies from the Orvis index.

DSCF3314-XL.jpg

Rat Faced Mcdougal

DSCF3312-XL.jpg

Humpy

DSCF3307-XL.jpg

White Irresistible

DSCF3298-XL.jpg

Adams Irresistible.

Those shot glasses are nice.

One thing that I've been wondering about. When you make your own brushes, you must just use wire, right? If you used thread it would just unravel when you take it out of the fixture, yes? Where does one get such wire?

Some hair wing dry flies from the Orvis Index.

DSCF3315-XL.jpg

The White Wulff

DSCF3324-XL.jpg

Gray Wulff

DSCF3328-XL.jpg

Grizzly Wulff

DSCF3329-XL.jpg

Royal Wulff

I've come to a point where I need to decide if I want to tie for fishing or presentation. Primarily I'm doing this exercise for practice, to become a better tier and to fill my fly boxes to catch fish. I think, in that regard, I am doing what I set out to do.

I recognize that if I want to tie prettier flies, make my hackles stand up straighter, I will need to strip one side of the hackle before I wrap it. I'll try that for a while and see if I like it.

Also, if I want to take better pictures, I may need to invest in a better camera. Not sure if I really want to do what it takes to take better pictures, better camera and dedicated photo box, tripod and all.

What else are you going to spend your money on, Mark?

Booze? Drugs? Women? (worse than booze and drugs together)

On the other hand, you can be like me. I tie for fishing, but I still take a picture here and there. I don't use any kind of special equipment. If people like the pictures, great. If not, there's a million other pictures out there.

Well, I never seem to have a problem spending my money, even without booze and drugs. I do have a wife though, I also have some boats... so no trouble spending money.

On the other hand, I see where you're coming from with the flies and pictures. I tie for myself (and fish) and post here as a record of this project and so others can see what I'm doing if they are interested.

When I do something I try to do it well. Tying well and photographing well are for my own personal achievement, not necessarily for the approval of others but if I tied and photographed in my own little bubble, I would not get help from others and I would likely not get better ( I would not know what "better" looks like if I didn't compare my work to others). My eyes are not unbiased.

Those shot glasses are nice.

One thing that I've been wondering about. When you make your own brushes, you must just use wire, right? If you used thread it would just unravel when you take it out of the fixture, yes? Where does one get such wire?

You can get 28 guage wire at Jo Ann. You can also google to find the wire.

Thread does not work for me.

Rick

Thanks Rick, It makes sense to use stainless, copper or brass wire. It just occurred to me we could use the same wire we wrap ribs on a nymph with.

Still a work in progress but it is functional.

That's all you need. It will make brushes as good and just about as fast as a pretty one with a motor.

Thanks Rick, It makes sense to use stainless, copper or brass wire. It just occurred to me we could use the same wire we wrap ribs on a nymph with.

That's what I use, brassie size usually.

To add to an earlier post, in order to make prettier hackles, I may try folding my hackles and stripping one side to see which method I like better