Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on?

Tell you that's more true now than ever!! biggrin.png

Gates are almost finished. Took 4x8 pallets apart and the dimensions worked out perfectly so that one 2x4x8 (a pallet support beam) made one gate frame without any scrap. Since the pallets were 4ft tall, that's how tall the fence slats are. I prefer to limit cuts so that there is less to screw up. smile.png

5lnlo8.jpg

Three things left.

1) Attempt to figure out why the top is not even, although the frame is square, the individual gate is level, and the frames across gates are level. This one has me confused.

2) Clean up in front of the gate and plant something grass-like that lives in semi-arid desert and doesn't require much maintenance biggrin.png

3) Install Latch

I will not paint or stain, the weather can take care of that

Linking my new "magic" phone to the Bluetooth in my car, and linking it to my "magic" watch. Bluetooth in the car is linked. Not sure about the watch. These things should be simple.

Suppose you are ok with being listened to? All of the tech companies have openly, because people don't seem to care for some reason, admit that they have teams of employees whose sole job is to listen to people's recorded conversations and record the data. So when you mention that you're hungry then receive a coupon on your phone for food, don't be surprised. This can be spun positive or negative but at least everyone should know it is taking place. If you think for a minute they aren't recording other things, you're crazy. Ok, tin foil hate is off biggrin.png

I turned the voice activation stuff off and lessen my use of some of this tech, even though I know it's still listening when it's "turned off"

I'm all out of tin foil. Will aluminum foil do? Just got off the phone with one of my fishing buddies. We're headed up to Cablela's tomorrow. Talked about stopping for either breakfast or lunch. No food coupon yet. I don't use the voice activation either. Next is to remove some of the apps and widgets that came with the phone. I'm working my way through the user's manual that I downloaded and printed out. It was 218 pages. I worked for the federal government for almost 40 years. I'm use to having my conversations recorded.

In a recent post Cpt. Bob showed us some of his jigs. I bought some of them and, not that they weren't really good as they were, but I'm adding these eyes to them to give them some more kick. Then coating several times with Sally Hanson.

I like the way they look and am looking forward to ice fishing season so I can give them a try on biiiiiiig lakers.

DSCF4050-XL.jpg

Linking my new "magic" phone to the Bluetooth in my car, and linking it to my "magic" watch. Bluetooth in the car is linked. Not sure about the watch. These things should be simple.

Suppose you are ok with being listened to? All of the tech companies have openly, because people don't seem to care for some reason, admit that they have teams of employees whose sole job is to listen to people's recorded conversations and record the data. So when you mention that you're hungry then receive a coupon on your phone for food, don't be surprised. This can be spun positive or negative but at least everyone should know it is taking place. If you think for a minute they aren't recording other things, you're crazy. Ok, tin foil hate is off :D

I turned the voice activation stuff off and lessen my use of some of this tech, even though I know it's still listening when it's "turned off"

That must be a huge team to listen to so many phones. Your slightly right though but nobody is actually listening to your conversations. This is kind of techie but in its most simplistic form Information is being gathered from "beacons" that companies place in their stores. The beacons grab unique identifiers from your phone. That information is also sold to other companies. This is why if you go to a fishing store who installed beacons you start getting adds in your phone apps about fishing and so forth. If you go to a restaurant with beacons installed then you start receiving stuff food related. This is relatively new so most stores don't have beacons yet but they all will soon. It's a great way to market and your making money simply by selling the unique phone identifiers collected.

No need to wear a tin foil hat, they are "listening" in a digital tech way.

In a recent post Cpt. Bob showed us some of his jigs. I bought some of them and, not that they weren't really good as they were, but I'm adding these eyes to them to give them some more kick. Then coating several times with Sally Hanson.

I like the way they look and am looking forward to ice fishing season so I can give them a try on biiiiiiig lakers.

DSCF4050-XL.jpg

Mark, one of the best ice fishing lures for lakers around here are white tube jigs so I'm going to guess that those will work really well.

"I will not paint or stain, the weather can take care of that"

Fish, I like what you did with an old pallet. May I suggest three words - shou sugi ban, the most fun you can have with a blow torch.

Busy week around here. Got an extended fishing trip starting on the 4th, this is the one that I ended up postponing from June because of high water. Gonna spend 2 weeks alone on the river. So this week is 10hrs days in the rod shop finishing up around a half dozen rod orders I have left on the board as well as a couple repairs. After that it's lots of tying, lots of yard work, and then lots of packing to get ready.

Poopdeck, you are describing bluetooth low energy beacons. That's not nearly as invasive as what amazon, google, and others are doing. The teams aren't literally listening to every word, computers do that, catalog it, etc.!

Philly, I was only joking anout you instantly starting to receive coupons. However, it's not a secret that voice activation systems are recording everything. I figure by the time it's really useful, I'll be too old to care. :D

Look up "social credit system" if you want to know what the future will be like. It's actually taking place and no one seems to care.

Lesg, our lakers have seen the white tube gigs so much it's very hard to get a bite on one now. The tubes imitate a least cisco, the main pray species of the lakers in one specific lake I fish. These jigs are an attempt to simulate the cisco just a little closer. I will let you know how they work.

Those look great Mark..... More than one of my jig customers add eyes to the basic product - either with stick-ons or with paint. Hope they do what you want - they're actually the heaviest in my line at one ounce.... Most of my local anglers are in the 1/8 to 3/8 ounce size range.

Look up "social credit system" if you want to know what the future will be like. It's actually taking place and no one seems to care.

I could not care less. I've nothing to hide, and life is a "public" event, anyway. Red light cameras, facial recognition software, computer monitoring systems ... it's all intended to make it easier to find and catch "bad guys".

If you are not doing anything wrong, there is nothing to worry about.

If you're doing wrong, then electronic surveillance SHOULD bother you.

"Bad boys, bad boys ... whacha gonna do? Whacha gonna do when they come for you ???"

I could not care less. I've nothing to hide, and life is a "public" event, anyway. Red light cameras, facial recognition software, computer monitoring systems ... it's all intended to make it easier to find and catch "bad guys".

If you are not doing anything wrong, there is nothing to worry about.

If you're doing wrong, then electronic surveillance SHOULD bother you.

"Bad boys, bad boys ... whacha gonna do? Whacha gonna do when they come for you ???"

Boy OH boy, you just opened up a big can of worms.

Those look great Mark..... More than one of my jig customers add eyes to the basic product - either with stick-ons or with paint. Hope they do what you want - they're actually the heaviest in my line at one ounce.... Most of my local anglers are in the 1/8 to 3/8 ounce size range.

I'm sure they are going to work great. I'm thinking I will give them a try on big pike in the next couple of weeks as well as the lakers this winter. Thanks a bunch.

Some one dropped off a raw moose hide here so I'm fleshing and salting it. That's what people do if they know you're a fly tier or knife maker, they drop off every kind of hair, fur or feather and truck springs, old files and saw blades. Not complaining.

Free supplies ... who can complain?!?! biggrin.png

I keep hoping for a spare leaf spring to appear, so I can make a tree chopping machete. Store bought machetes are good for twigs and grass and other small diameter stuff. I want to make myself one that will take down a 4" thick tree. In one swing would be excellent, but as long as it doesn't bend, I'd be happy !!!