Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on?

Thursday.jpg

i removed the plastic lattice covering the frame. those 2 azalea bushes look pathetic. they gotta go! smile.png

pile-of-deck-boards.jpg

a pile of deck boards and railings waiting to get hauled away

lunch-time.jpg

by lunchtime it was stripped naked

Deck-boards-replaced.jpg

deck boards replaced

should i sand or power wash the frame work below the deck boards?

i'm gonna stain the frame wok a darker color or get creative covering the frame work. ideas??

the guys will be back monday to continue the deck rebuild with new steps and railings. then its on to the smaller deck at the back door

back-door.jpg

back door

I've seen them power wash fencing, and it looks pretty good. But, I don't know if it will "even" out the differences between the weathered portions and the areas protected by the railings.

Sanding will take longer, but might produce a better finish.

Pressure wash before you do anything to it, but sanding won't do a lot for making the older framing match the decking. Let the new boards cure for about six weeks, then put a solid color stain over the entire thing would be your best bet.

What peartree said the other thing I like to do when I build a deck is use a peal and stick flashing on top of the joists stup water doesn't soak into the top of the wood.

What peartree said the other thing I like to do when I build a deck is use a peal and stick flashing on top of the joists stup water doesn't soak into the top of the wood.

???

i dont get that one

Pressure wash before you do anything to it, but sanding won't do a lot for making the older framing match the decking. Let the new boards cure for about six weeks, then put a solid color stain over the entire thing would be your best bet.

My idea of sanding was to make the frame one color or at least blend them. I'll power wash before sanding

It's basically a tape with a tar sticky side you use it to seal around windows or places that need extra protection on a roof but it can also be use onto of deck joists to prevent dry rot.

Your place is going to be pretty spiffy when you get all done.

My thought would be you could cover the beams with a 1/2 or 3/4 thick fascia board to hide the weathering, then bolt or screw the railings on through the new fascia board. I think that would be a lot easier and more effective than sanding.

It's basically a tape with a tar sticky side you use it to seal around windows or places that need extra protection on a roof but it can also be use onto of deck joists to prevent dry rot.

so it would go on the top of each joist BEFORE the deck boards go on?

the existing joists looked damn good for being 12 years old

i'm thinking of hiding the weathering kinda like the following photo

faux-stone-deck-skirting-stone-porch-ski

or with new lattice. the frame is already there. the posts and railings will be similar to below

64547d1328058439-deck-skirting-whats-eve

Your place is going to be pretty spiffy when you get all done.

My thought would be you could cover the beams with a 1/2 or 3/4 thick fascia board to hide the weathering, then bolt or screw the railings on through the new fascia board. I think that would be a lot easier and more effective than sanding.

Like Mark suggested, a lot of time we'll run another new board around the entire deck as a rim joist or fascia, then it will match the new decking without all the sanding, even sanded they won't suck up the stain at the same rate as the new wood, hence the difference in color.

all of the frame work will be done in a darker stain than the rest of the deck

i still have to pressure wash to get the green algae and dirt that has accumulted over the years

the deck boards are still wet to the touch. how long for them to dry enough to stain. my contractor said around march next year

Wife watches a show called "Holmes on home". During the show, Mike Holmes does a bit on "when to apply stain to deck boards." It's a recurring bit, kind of like a commercial ... only reason I'm reminded of it now.

He says to flip s few drops off your fingers onto the boards. If the water beads, do not apply stain. If the water absorbs into the wood, it's ready to accept stain. The sooner you can apply the stain, the better. You can sand off the weathered surfaced to get the "new wood" look, just before staining.