Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on?

Steve I was thinking about that vent pipe of yours, out here we have companies that can re-line old iron pipe with a plastic coating on the inside without having to have access to more that the end of the pipe.

Never knew/heard of that. I'll have to check into it and see if they do that here and what the cost is. Might be a fix that could get me by for a while.

Hey Steve, if you have a small hole you can get to, they make an epoxy pipe repair tape that may work for you. It actually has to be wet to set-up, and you can pick it up at home depot or lowes. Also insulating the pipe to try to keep it from sweating as badly in the cold weather may help.

The process Vicente mentioned is typically done to septic lines and would probably work as well, though the cost may be prohibitive. The ones I've had experience with were done to prevent having to do major excavation to replace pipes.

Steve I was thinking about that vent pipe of yours, out here we have companies that can re-line old iron pipe with a plastic coating on the inside without having to have access to more that the end of the pipe.

Never knew/heard of that. I'll have to check into it and see if they do that here and what the cost is. Might be a fix that could get me by for a while.

Look up trenchless plumbing, it should last you years possibly until it becomes someone else's problem, which is all that really matters.

I've spent the last 2 months redoing my family room, laundry room, powder room and entrance way. Still have work to do on the entrance way and some minor touch up but the job is 97% done. Another 3% and my four year, which actually was five years, project of redoing the entire house inside and out will be done. Come spring it will be time for fun stuff again starting with an overhaul of my boat.

Before

post-48414-0-45557400-1575165919_thumb.jpg

After

post-48414-0-78788200-1575165983_thumb.jpg

The bench in the corner actually goes in the entrance way. We are waiting on a backordered chair for the corner.

Thanks. The fireplace, or wall of fire as I like to call it since it's not really a fireplace, has been a 20 year desire of mine. Couldn't afford it with the kids around so I bundled up while biding my time. The time has come and I'm loving it. This may become my primary tying room this winter.

Along with the fishing this past holiday weekend, I also got some yardening (gardening on the yard) on the "Park" done. I tried a couple of panoramic shots, so the shading differences are evident.

Here's the front view of the property ...

Home Dec 2019 (8).JPG

This is the side farthest side of the yard from the house. It's also what the whole Park looked like.

Home Dec 2019 (4).JPG

And this is part of the clearing phase. Hopefully, I'll get it all cleared, leaving the far side "overgrown" as a barrier.

Home Dec 2019 (6).JPG

At some point, I'm also hoping to have a foundation poured and some storage sheds erected. If possible, they will blend in more than they'll stand out.

That looks like a lot of work. That's some thick stuff. Looks like chigger country or are they out of season right now?

I'm not sure we even have chiggers down here. I used to suffer from them all the time in Indiana. I don't think I've ever gotten into any since I got here in '92. Maybe it's too humid for them?

Ticks, though, we have in abundance. It's a definite "whole body check" after.

The worst part of the "thickness" is the mat of roots. We're not far above the water table. The roots of all the vines, weeds and palmettos are like mesh in the first 4 inches of soil. Even the tree's roots are spread out, rather than tapped straight down. I love the Live Oaks, but their tap roots can run just under the surface for tens of feet. When I dig out for the foundation, I might kill one or two of those trees.

No chiggers! That goes in the plus column for Florida. The worse infestation of chiggers I ever got into was in South Carolina so humidity must not bother them to much.

I had to research ... seems chiggers DO live in Florida. I guess I've just been lucky to have never gotten into an infested area.

I'm thinking that they must be found mostly in the upper end of the state. I moved to Melbourne, which is just south of Cape Canaveral, in '89 and have never lived north of that latitude since. I haven't had an incident since moving away from VA and I've spent a whole bunch of time running around in the bushes that I think I would have. I remember specifically thinking about not getting chiggers down here a few times over the years. If I never get chiggers again...

Swamp

Thankfully chiggers do not live here in Massachusetts so I am not "intimately" familiar with them. I do know from spending time in Georgia that they can be a concern at certain times if your outside. I have to admit I thought they were only a southern problem but the google machine stated they are also found in parts of the upper midwest. Here in the Northeast mosquitoes and ticks represent the majority of things that can ruin your out door day. Black flies will make you really miserable but they only last for a few weeks in the spring. I got lyme disease from a tick bite while fishing a few years back. I was fortunate that I developed the bulls eye rash which tipped me off. My doctor said a lot of people show no symptoms until the disease really gets rolling. In the late summer early fall we take the EEE threat from mosquitoes pretty seriously around here. EEE is extremely rare but carries a high fatality rate. I believe we had 4 deaths this past autumn. I go through a lot of 40% DEET - I would prefer to smell the clean, crisp air but it's a small price to pay to be able to keep fly fishing in the fall.