Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on?

Mark, very nice indeed! I'm a big believer in form follows function and you nailed it while still adding some artistic embellishment. Too often I see knives that look like they are either thrown together with bailing wire and rough shaped or they have so much superfluous stuff added that they look like a goth teenager that went on a piercing binge and can now no longer do anything but sit in moms basement for fear of having something torn off by the shrubbery outside. Again good stuff. Very generous client you have there.

Swamp

P.S. Three guesses as to which pair Mike would choose! LOL

I had a couple trees taken out this summer but the neighbors provide enough leaves for my garden. I use a wire 4x4 foot cage as a compost pile. In the fall, I turn all the compost into the soil and then use the cage to pack leaves in 4x4 blocks in the back of the garden. Late fall and winter moisture rots some of it. Then in spring as things come up, I use the leaves as mulch to keep weeds down and moisture in. Then the cage is used for compost all spring and summer. By fall, the leaf mulch is all broken down. Clean off all the garden waste at the end of the season and repeat the process.

That looks like a lot of work Mark, I'm working on getting 4 out before Christmas, those are mostly done, I just have to do the final 2k grint had sand buff and sharpen a couple of them and make a sheath. I ordered thread middle of last week for the sheath and haven't gotten a tracking number yet, not stoked on that especially since I paid extra for priority shipping.

The first 2 are nitro-v stainless

The 3rd is a nikiri in 15n20 hc

The 4th is in 1095 hc.

Between those and the other 2 I've done this is the most I've turned out of my shop in a month I am going to try to get a couple more done for gifts and maybe another chef in stainless to sell before Christmas since the blade is nearly done already.

I'm really considering buying one of the 3 zone paragon pro heat ovens right now as they're on sale and my 14 inch is leaving me feeling a little limited with kitchen knives, the super fast heating and cooling would be extremely helpful to me as I'm often limited on being able to put in extended hours in the shop needed to get through a full heat treating cycle with normalizing and thermo cycles and tempering.

post-58401-0-05419100-1576555054_thumb.jpg

post-58401-0-81309100-1576555070_thumb.jpg

post-58401-0-91652900-1576555178_thumb.jpg

Vincente, I particularly like the first two! The chefs looks like it needs to be put to work and the pairing knife has a great Saxe blade profile that I have a strong affinity for to begin with (I like the Migration era).

Swamp

Glow in the dark knife handles. For those times when you don't want to turn on a light before grabbing the appropriate anti-intruder blade from the kitchen!

But they're blue ... so that's really cool !!!

Glow in the dark knife handles. For those times when you don't want to turn on a light before grabbing the appropriate anti-intruder blade from the kitchen!

I'm not sure what the third one is used for but it looks like a great anti-intruder knife.

I'm not sure what the third one is used for but it looks like a great anti-intruder knife.
It's a vegetable knife it's ground very thin for slicing veggies, a friend ordered a chef and pairing knife for his stepson who's a chef, he requested this one this year, always nice to know someone at a professional level enjoys using my knives.

Everybody is making me feel lazy with all the knife making and composting going on. A lot of work for sure. All I've done since thanksgiving is sit on my hands. Now that the brunt of the work is done I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to finish the little stuff like trim and the closet. Well I finally put the finishing touches on my door making the trim work DONE! Although I may put the crown molding back up. Time to get the closet done.

post-48414-0-93922600-1576626495_thumb.jpg

That has been my problem on my own house poopdeck, all things that actually affect quality of life are done, I still need to do some touch up painting and windowsills though, having a 4 and 2 year old is hardly encouraging though since I'm fairly certain it will all get messed up immediately.

Mark, very nice indeed! I'm a big believer in form follows function and you nailed it while still adding some artistic embellishment. Too often I see knives that look like they are either thrown together with bailing wire and rough shaped or they have so much superfluous stuff added that they look like a goth teenager that went on a piercing binge and can now no longer do anything but sit in moms basement for fear of having something torn off by the shrubbery outside. Again good stuff. Very generous client you have there.

Swamp

P.S. Three guesses as to which pair Mike would choose! LOL

Thanks everybody for the props. You end up with sore hands after a marathon build like that. They were shipped in time, and my hands are feeling better. I'm guessing Mike would have chosen the blue handled ones. I can be accused of over dressing my knives at time as well as my flies. Being a custom knife maker, I have to make what my customers want. Overwhelmingly they want bling.

Now, it's time for some ice fishing.