Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on?

Nice Mark that's a lot of work, what steel are you using?

This here is 154CM. I don't do a lot of production work. 100 of these are for a very good customer. The rest will be sold in our store.

Nice I like 154cpm quite a lot, I've yet to work with it I may order some when I'm through with my current batch of nitro-v, I've been pretty happy with aebl as well and it's much lower cost.

Todays project is to finish modifying my kayak trailer. We are adding PVC bunks to the trailer. The idea is better support than we have now, and something that will flex some on bumpy roads to help preserve the hull. We are using 2 schedule 40,3inX8 foot per side. We are attaching it with 3.5 inch bolts and plastic washers and two lock nuts so the nuts dont work loose while rolling down the road.

Completed trailer project

We picked up a new Native Slayer 12XC at thew factory the other day and they gave us several 12in x12in squares of material that had come from a boat that didnt mold correctly. We cut washers out of this material and used then so we would have a little more cushion as the trailer went down the road. It took a good bit of the day, in the heat to finish,but It turned out pretty well. We measured and set the PVC on the cross supports so they ran in the tunnels on the underside of the hull.

post-64325-0-94184300-1564867329_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-36794000-1564867361_thumb.jpg

Looks like it came out really well.

I'm "working on" packing today, got my 20 day trip coming up starting tomorrow. I know I have pretty much everything packed and even have a list of what is packed, but when you have OCD your mind starts playing tricks on you...."did you REALLY pack that, or did you mean to and forgot to pack it but still wrote it down" .

Living inside my head is a full time job that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy blink.png laugh.png

Looks functional and professional, Duck.

Steve, have fun and find peace on the water.

Please be careful out there, wading by yourself. I hear banjos dueling in the background.

Here's a comparison between a standard roll of TP (the last one in the house) and the new mega-roll.

Plexi-glass pieces epoxied into place will allow the new rolls to fit.

TP dispenser modification.jpg

removing ugly lattice from my deck to get ready powerwashing.

contractor is going to replace deck floor boards, steps and all railings

DSCN3471-down.jpg

cleaned out all of the leaves, weeds and tiny trees growing under the decks

contractor is going to replace deck floor boards, steps and all railings

So ... basically building a new deck?

Other than constantly working to improve myself, and possibly in an effort to...I've been working on a pilgrimage and it's almost time to go. Sought one of the loneliest roads in the world, just the wildlife, fish, and myself. Befitting for a fall trip with an attitude to match.

Hopefully I'll come back new and improved, or at least improved and a little less edgy biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png

Been busy this past week doing a bit of rodbuilding (see thread under flyfishing)

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=88761

, and having a new motor rigged on my skiff (can't remember how many motors on my old Maverick over the years..). This one is E-Tec 90hp number four.... Now as we move towards September and the opening of snook season I'm ready to go. With almost all of my lure orders done and gone it's finally time to get back to the fly-tying bench where the first order of business will be to re-hab about 20 bugs that have been thoroughly chewed but with enough left to be worth the effort... then it will be nothing but tarpon flies as our "second season" gets closer. The big silver fish will be gorging themselves the last five weeks before Halloween and I'm needing some ammo... Of course all of the above is predicated on any hurricanes (this is that time of year) giving us a miss... If you even say the word hurricane in season - Everglades National Park will lock its gates.... and I'll be fishing... somewhere else....

I've been working on a pilgrimage and it's almost time to go. Sought one of the loneliest roads in the world, just the wildlife, fish, and myself.

Hiking the whole way, or driving? Hotels? Fishing licenses? The trip sounds wonderful, the details can be frustrating.