Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on?

Cable box and whatever my interior designer brings over. She is actually my wife's designer but I just like the sound of it when I call her my interior designer. Everybody should have one. They are very affordable and well worth the added expense since I don't have to go to one flooring store, appliance store, window treatment store, tile store, furniture store, door and window store, lighting store, paint store, art store or general accessory store.

That's something that just would not work for me. I'm so OCD as well as set in my ways with certain styles that if someone picked out and decorated for me, I would probably fall on the floor in a fit of convulsions laugh.png

I have worked with a bunch of interior designers through my clients over the years. Some were great, others not so much. It is really nice when you have a client who can't make any decisions to have someone else to deal with it.

On the other hand, I remember a big job years ago when we ripped out and rebuilt a kitchen soffit 4 times, 4 different ways to meet the designers "artistic vision"

Both me and my wife suck at decorating and we get paralyzed by the fear of it. There is an approval process. It starts with us telling her what we would like. She then turns it into a room on an iPad Pro with 360 viewing. She plugs in everything into the picture right down to the smallest of items with remarkable accuracy. I'm always amazed how much the rooms look like the pictures when they are done. If we don't like something she changes it out to something else. Her design fee allows for 3 revisions. Any more and there's an additional fee. She comes with an itemized price list of everything and my wife diligently checks the retail prices of everything to make sure we're being charged retail.

She is a designer not an engineer so sometimes what she envisions doesn't work. Case in point, my fire place. She had a 6 foot wall of fire in the design that was frankly stunning and I was all in. Until I read the specs of the unit and found we were at the bare minimum space required. I then looked at the heat output and at low it would have been way to much heat for the room. Way to much so we went down to a 40" cooltouch. She had the TV imset into the wall but with the cooltouch you can only get 1.5" inset less you build out over the fire box. We wanted the fire box flush to the wall so we had to nix the inset. So you definitely have to ensure her plans are feasible.

Her design fee for my living room is 1600.00. When we start a room we get rid of everything and start completely from ground zero so it's really a very small amount when looked at within the big picture of all of the renovation expenses. She is also a retailer so just like any retail store, she will pay 1500 for a fridge and sell it to you at the retail price of 1700 so this is also how she makes money. She charges us what everybody else charges for the same products. The only difference is your not getting the holiday sale prices which I'm okay with as long as I don't have to go shopping.

So she is designing what we want she just does it a whole lot better then me and the Wife.

Electric roughed in and electrician holes repaired. When the spackle drys I'll lightly sand then paint the ceiling. Fireplace coming on Friday.

post-48414-0-52618500-1571615606_thumb.jpgpost-48414-0-97344500-1571615629_thumb.jpg

You guys are talented! My new project is an aluminum bass boat. Just a little 14 ft. The previous owner sealed off the drain hole. Got to fix that. Needs a "shake down" run.

Wall of fire in and the electric all buttoned up with the exception of a center light that hasn't come in yet. Wall repair, paint, floor, tile, closet, railing, trim and a few more doors and I may actually be able to fish come spring!

post-48414-0-93039500-1572041755_thumb.jpg

Rod racks, hmmmmmmmmm. I built my rod racks 20 years ago when I moved in. For now I will leave them in the basement.

Today was a sad day. I put my boat up till April. With lots of rain in the forecast and all the work I have to do to get the house ready by Thanksgiving this looked like the last good day to do it.

I got so sick of working on my family room that I took a little break and went to the fly shop where I broke my golden rule of don't spend money when money don't need to be spent. Bought some things I didn't need like two more bobbins and some thread and similar stuff I have plenty of. Sure felt good though.

Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes ya gotta reward yourself by taking a break and buying something that you might not "need" but can always get some use out of for sure.