Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What are you working on?

Could be worse when you said money that didn't need to be spent I was expecting to see a high end sage, Winston or Thomas and Thomas had been purchased along with a matching reel.

Funny stuff Vicente. I only spent 32 bucks and that was very difficult for me. Not in a financial sense just in a tightwad sense. I'll never need a break from anything that would cause me to spend good money on a high end sage, Winston or Thomas and Thomas. At least not that I can foresee but you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Thats a cool new profile picture, steeldrifter.

Thanks. That was a 20" brown I got at the end of last season. Figure it was time for a change, I think I have had the other profile pic for about 15 yrs now lol

Working on fixing a ceiling fan today. Whatever engineer came up with this for the 3 spd switch needs to find a new line of work. You have to use a paper clip to open the contacts to insert the wires into then pull the paper clip out leaving the wire in the switch. All while holding the switch in one hand because there's no room inside the housing to do all that. In other words....3 hands minimum on one person. For cryin out loud just put 2" of wire coming out of the switch so people can wire nut connect them! unreal the way things are made/done these days.

The only times I really have issues with stuff like this is when the genius/cheap bastard who wired the house only left a couple inches of wire to work with, so you're stuck trying to wire it up and having to hold the switch like an inch out from the wall.

Flooring in entrance way, family room, powder room and laundry room done. Family room paint done. Onto painting entrance, powder room, laundry room and a couple miles of trim. I really really dislike painting unless it's on cork poppers and shad spoons.

Got a vent stack pipe that is causing a leak now. I swear if its not one thing it's another. Ceiling was getting wet right over the foot of my bed, roof is pretty good shape so knew there had to be something else going on. Opened up the ceiling and found the 3.5" cast iron vent pipe for the house. Damn 90 degree elbow is rusted so when it is cold now condensation forms inside the tube and runs down the tube causing a leak. Tried sealing it just to get it to stop leaking as a band aid but not working. Too hard to seal a wet pipe like that. Was thinking about renting a pipe snap cutter and cutting out the elbow and replacing it with a PVC elbow. Problem with that there is no access in the attic to the pipe, and there is no support for the pipe. You would think they would have a bracket supporting the pipe between the roof and elbow but nope, I can see all the way through the hole I cut to where it exits the roof and nodda'. So if I cut the elbow then I dunno if the pipe is gonna just be holding from the roof flange or if it will slide right down or what. Is so then I'd really be screwed. Ahhhhh man I swear, life's a bitch sometimes sleep.png

The well module in our hot water heater has been dripping for months but now it's filling a 5 gallon bucket every day. Time for surgery. A buddy has the identical heater/leak and fixed it himself. He said it's a fairly easy fix and has offered to help me out. I'm pretty good with repairs but it's always nice to have someone with you who's been through the project first. Parts are $140ish.

I will be making a cold frame for the garden and a smitty sled for ice fishing. A couple easy winter projects to pass the time until the water gets hard. Also I will be putting in a few hours as a volunteer for Project Healing Waters.

SD, uh oh! My first house had cast iron stacks and I had to replace the entire vent system. Problem with cast iron is if yours rotted out at an elbow there's a good chance the rest of the stack or at least more of the stack is also rotted. They rot from the inside out and develop small holes. Thankfully it was a small one bathroom rancher so it was relatively easy because there was not much venting to the vent. There's a chance your pipe will be supper brittle around the rotted area.

One word, FERNCO.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-3-in-x-3-44-in-dia-Flexible-PVC-Elbow-Fittings/1000075397?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-rpe-_-google-_-lia-_-142-_-plumbingconnectionsandsupport-_-1000075397-_-0&store_code=1980&cm_mmc=src-_-c-_-prd-_-rpe-_-google-_-rough_plumbing_and_electrical-_-MHLIA_RPE_Rough%20Plumbing%20and%20Electrical_High%20Priority-_--_-0-_-0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh_OeyZ_Z5QIVi7bICh0G7AIgEAQYASABEgKfLvD_BwE&gclsrc=

Flicked, I use to drag one of those plastic ice fishing sleds around. Then I built a smitty sled. The things a Ferrari. So much easier then dragging those stupid black plastic sleds around. You have to watch because the smitty sled will run up and clip you in the heels. I can even ride it down a hill to one lake when there is snow on the ground. Speaking of snow, it glides over snow on the ice to. Mine is pretty basic with just a wood box perched atop some risers on an old pair of skis.

o0k7im.jpg

Had to build a stand and set up another 75g tank tonight. With the temps dropping into the 20's at night now and daytime highs in the 30's I have to bring the koi inside for the winter before I have to chip them out of the ice.

Steve I was thinking about that vent pipe of yours, out here we have companies that can re-line old iron pipe with a plastic coating on the inside without having to have access to more that the end of the pipe.