Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Anyone Tie Their Own Leaders?

Thanks for the info Dornug.

I tie my own leaders using different tippet sizes. I usually go with 3'/9lb 3'/6lb 3'/3lb and no real method behind it.

Ya, I can switch from a #6 weighted woolly bugger to a #16 hair's ear so my leaders are pretty basic. As long as the fly lands somewhere on water I'm happy!

I just started and love it. I think they turn over so much better and will be so much cheaper in the long run. Can't wait to try a big heavy butted one on the 6wt for larger smallmouth bugs it is supposed to turn over better.

FM

I was looking for a site like this for quite some time to make some shorter leaders for my 6'6 2 wt. It seemed the leaders were always pretty long to turn over a dry with such a short stick. The problem was that you cut off the ends where the thinnest diameter is. So I was stuck with a thicker diameter near the fly even with some tippet tied in (so it wasn't truly a tapered leader any longer). I was going to tie some short ones for this rod.

Now I'm trading the rod in for the 7'9 version so I don't know if I'll need to tie my own but I'm keeping the site handy. It will be something else to keep me busy when not on the river.

Also see 'Leader Help' on this page (probably just above or below this thread).

Sign in to follow this