Fly Tying
Dan K

Eye magnifiers

Try a low vision provider. They have many types of magnifiers including higher power readers. You can also hit up your eye doctor. Let them know what you want to use them for and they will tailor the prescription to your needs.

I use drugstore readers, don't remember what power. Work well for me. I've also got a pair of those magnifiers that fit over your head. They work equally well. But if you really want to get up close, use the magnifiers under a pair of strong readers.

Thanks for all the replies. I could only find readers up to 3.00 locally, but internet searching turned up magnifiers at 7X. I ordered those as well as a high powered LED lamp. Looking forward to seeing (pun intended) how much they help.

6e18ec4bf776f93ef0e7de9fc3d9af17--steamp

Not quite this complex ^...LOL but I use a head mounted magnifier that also has a light. I wear progressive lenses and can use my glasses along with magnifier, a big plus for me. The magnifier flips up easily out of the way. And having the option of using the light, I can really tie anywhere without having to worry about plugging in a light to tie flies. So if you don't mind being mistaken for Darth Vader....you may want to consider it.

There are quite a few out there, but here is the link to the one I purchased >

https://carson.com/products/magnivisor-deluxe-cp-60/

https://youtu.be/jhbnqb1gL4Q

Ive got a pair of click it readers I use to tie and take fishing to on flies on small tippet, there easy to take on and off, hang around your neck when not in use. mine are 3.75 I believe. For really small flies I use the readers and slip on magnifier with two different lenses, works pretty good, but I really look weird!

People seem to be confusing powers of magnification 2x,3x, 4x etc with diopteric power of lenses, +2.00, +2.50, +3.00 etc. A 3x magnifer is not the same as +3.00 diopter reading glasses. As pointed out before, the amount of light is extremely important and as we age we require more light to see the same thing. I always tell patients to use the least amount of magnification or the least strength of reading glasses that allows you to get the job done. Generally speaking, the higher the power of the lens, the more aberration and/or distortion is built into the optical system and as Silvercreek said, the shorter the depth of focus. When you purchase over the counter readers or magnifiers, you are accepting two built in compromises, the one premise is that both eyes are the same, all too often they are not. The second premise is they use an average distance between a human's pupils in order to place optical centers of the two lenses. Look around and you will see that we all have different size faces and the pupillary distance can easily vary between 55 and 75 mm. The farther you are from the average and the higher the power of the lens, will potentially create more visual stress when looking through them for long periods of time. Brief periods of time will probably not a big deal but if you sit down and want to knock off a dozen Kelly Galloup articulated streamers at one time, it can become troublesome for the visual system.

^^^^

gotta link?

Headband Magnifier With LED Light, Handsfree Reading Head Mount Magnifier Magnifying Glasses Light Bracket 5 Replaceable Lenses for Close Work, Jewelry Loupe, Watch Repair 1.0X, 1.5X, 2.0X, 2.5X, 3.5X by oenbopo.

This is what & where I ordered mine on amazon