Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What bugs you?

That bare spot on the kitchen table where I knocked over the head cement.

Brass, tungsten beads that escape. Fastest things on the planet once they hit the floor.

Fishing for hours without a hit and missing the only strike that happens because you're daydreaming.

Litter.

+1. My toys are for playing with but the bare spot on my desk still bugs me.

I have a real problem when I lose something. Drives me nuts. I can't find a fly reel, three hackle pliers, and some old waders. We moved several times and I swear there is a well outfitted moving guy. Nah, it's here somewhere.

Know a gentleman that swore up and down the crew that installed is new garage door took a box of flies. I am good friends with the present owner of the business. He was an employee at the time and was asking me questions about the situation and the reported value of the flies.

My friend had his guys go through the trucks to see if they were picked up by mistake. Since their trash had not been picked up they even emptied the dumpsters looking for these flies.

I trust the integrity of both these gentleman. I think the flies were either left on the ground when loading a kayak or on top of the truck and forgotten.

I have forgotten items myself and I am either an hour away or its been a few days when I remember.

Trying a new tying technique - something intricate and challenging. After several attempts, I finally get it right, and the exhalation of relief blows feathers and clipped thread and loose fur all over the place.

Norm, lets call those variationssmile.png.

maybe but to me they were stupid mistakes

im sure you wouldnt sell a blade with a knick in the blade as a variation

Getting everything set to make an SBS picture series ... then finding out your new camera takes terrible pictures.

I just deleted the last four posts. Call it censorship if you wish.

It's been a fun thread ... I'm not going to let it devolve into another lame argument. There's been too many of those lately.

Each winter I tie several “experimental” patterns for hatches I’ll encounter in the upcoming season. That isn’t what bugs me. During the season I fish the experimental patterns and find one to be very effective. That isn’t what bugs me. With this newfound success I return to the vise to tie some more, and after some evaluation decide the pattern might be more effective if I change this or that. That isn’t what bugs me. The next season I eagerly tie the new pattern to my leader - to find not a single trout is interested in the fly.

THAT is what bugs me!!!!