Fly Tying
DFoster

Creative ideas and repurposed items for the bench

I know using a magnetic parts tray isn't a new idea for tying but these particular ones may have some advantages. I found them at Wal Mart, they're made by Hyper Tough and you get two for $4.44- They are small, roughly 2" across. I use them to keep the next few hooks I plan to tie right at the pedestal and the won't blow away if you sneeze-

The magnet is a super strong doughnut shape encased in soft plastic so it shouldn't scratch the finish of the pedestal. Because of the doughnut shape if you slide a hook to the middle of the tray the magnetic force will stand it up on its end making it really easy to grab and remove.

I also grabbed a pair of cuticle clippers for removing tiny nubs of ribbing wire that are sometimes left over after "helicoptering" the tag. Saves my scissors.

Because fly tiers are a creative bunch there has to be hundreds of ideas out there that the rest of us haven't thought of, please share-

post-63811-0-54344300-1548428882_thumb.jpg

post-63811-0-00754600-1548428897_thumb.jpg

post-63811-0-34999000-1548428910_thumb.jpg

Your tying desk is much neater than mine. I have a larger pedestal than you do. It measures 6" x 6". On one side of the vise mount I put 3" x 2" magnet on the other side a 3" x 2 " piece of 1/4 " foam in front of the vise mount I have 2" x 2" magnet. There are two round depressions in the base in front of the vise mount. I glued in magnets in those. Here's a couple of pictures, as you can see they don't reduce the clutter.

post-309-0-03488900-1548433260_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-36735800-1548433279_thumb.jpg

Right now I'm using an old pair of scissors to trim wire ribbing nubs. I do have a an old cuticle clipper. Might as well put it to use trim wire. Both the base and magnets were either black or brown, so I painted them white so I could see the hooks.

I know using a magnetic parts tray isn't a new idea for tying but these particular ones may have some advantages. I found them at Wal Mart, they're made by Hyper Tough and you get two for $4.44- They are small, roughly 2" across. I use them to keep the next few hooks I plan to tie right at the pedestal and the won't blow away if you sneeze-

The magnet is a super strong doughnut shape encased in soft plastic so it shouldn't scratch the finish of the pedestal. Because of the doughnut shape if you slide a hook to the middle of the tray the magnetic force will stand it up on its end making it really easy to grab and remove.

I also grabbed a pair of cuticle clippers for removing tiny nubs of ribbing wire that are sometimes left over after "helicoptering" the tag. Saves my scissors.

Because fly tiers are a creative bunch there has to be hundreds of ideas out there that the rest of us haven't thought of, please share-

Anybody get Coupons in the snail mail (Valpak, Money Mailer)? There are usually coupons from Harbor Freight that offer that same 4" Magnetic parts tray for free.

My favorite re-purposed item is the floss threader -- makes an awesome bobbin threader.

Byron, they're my go to bobbin threader. Another use, particularly if you're whip finisher challenge like I am is to finish the head on a larger fly. Just make three or four wraps of thread over the floss threader and pull the tag end of the thread under the wraps and trim. It also works if you're tying legs against the side of a popper or a Chernobyl or LA ant

You can get small, strong magnets from ... everywhere. Some of mine come from old shower curtains ... the clear plastic liner that hangs inside the tub.

Those small magnets can be glued to all sorts of surfaces. I've got one on top of my vise stem, and keep my scissors there for quick access.

Use small ponytail bands over spools to keep thread and tinsel from unraveling. Use accordion files made for checks to keep feathers etc filed and flat.

All Great stuff here- Norm I would have never thought of used mascara brushes-

Your tying desk is much neater than mine.

Neatness is the price I pay for the heat and great natural light in my wife's office-