Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Troutslayer101

Echo Base 8 weight

So I picked up a echo base 8 weight for large mouth bass, white bass, and strippers maybe some pike fishing also. I will be throwing streamers to poppers with it. I have a low end 8 weight line on it now and not sure I like the way it cast. I'm thinking about going to a 9 weight line. Does anyone else have one and if so will moving up the weight of the line help?

I have been fly fishing for 8 plus years and I'm not a master at a fly rod but certainly not a beginner either and love the way my TFO 4, 5 and 6 wight cast. Thanks for the help.

You may want to give one of the lines that are a 1/2 weight heavy - like the Cabela's prestige plus line instead of going to the 9 weight line.

Orvis Clearwater lines are a 1/2 weight heavier. I have a few and for the price you can hardly go wrong.

I have an Echo 6 wt. Works well with my old Courtland 444 line.

If you ever have a chance to take a casting class with Tim Rajeff, the owner of Echo, take it. When he casts it looks like a martial arts master.

So I picked up a echo base 8 weight for large mouth bass, white bass, and strippers maybe some pike fishing also. I will be throwing streamers to poppers with it. I have a low end 8 weight line on it now and not sure I like the way it cast. I'm thinking about going to a 9 weight line. Does anyone else have one and if so will moving up the weight of the line help?

I have been fly fishing for 8 plus years and I'm not a master at a fly rod but certainly not a beginner either and love the way my TFO 4, 5 and 6 wight cast. Thanks for the help.

The problem could be the fly line and the leader. You should be using a bass bug taper that is forward weighted for casting wind resistance and heavier flies. Plus you should shorten the leader and it can just be a short straight piece of heavier mono. There is no need for a delicate tapered leader.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2016/10/19/how-to-cast-a-popper/

34883062674_3241819f50_o.png

The problem could be the fly line and the leader. You should be using a bass bug taper that is forward weighted for casting wind resistance and heavier flies. Plus you should shorten the leader and it can just be a short straight piece of heavier mono. There is no need for a delicate tapered leader.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2016/10/19/how-to-cast-a-popper/

34883062674_3241819f50_o.png

SliverCreek, When you say shorten up my leader. What length should i try. 5' or so? I believe I'm using a 8' leader right now. Thanks again for your help!

First you need the proper fly line. Then I wonder if the leader you are using is a stout enough to turn over the size of fly you are using. Read this:

https://midcurrent.com/experts/constructing-leaders-for-largemouth-bass/

If you cannot turn the fly over with a proper tapered bass leader then try a level 4 ft section of 20# mono or fluorocarbon. If you cannot turn the fly over with a bass taper fly line and a straight piece of stout mono, then you need to work on your casting.

I use the titan taper i mentioned above its basically the same thing as the bass taper silver creek showed, my leader is 2-3 ft or 20lb mason hard mono, 2-3 ft of 20lb maxima, 2-3 ft of 10 or 12 lb mono.

I have really liked feather craft furled leaders. They help turn over poppers. They have one made for Bass bugs.