Fly Tying
feathers5

Saber Hooks

Don't like them at all. Price is good enough that I use them for tying classes, but not good enough for me to want to fish with them. There are a ton of hook resellers out there nowadays, and there are others I look for before Saber. YMMV.

I've only bought two packs of them: their version of the TMC 200R in size 10 and 12. Caught a bunch of stocker-sized rainbows on mohair leeches tied on them. I did have trouble getting good hook-sets on them with bugger patterns...probably just overdressed the flies reducing the hook gap. I've broken a few in the vise and had one break while removing it from a channel cat. Compared to other similar hooks they seem a bit more brittle but I'll keep using them. They seem to work fine as long as you don't torque them too much. I have a bad habit of not using flies more than two or three trips so they last long enough for me.

+1 on the question, as the R200 is likely a design issue, not a manufacturing issue....

^^^^ What he said. The TMC 200R is notorious for poor hooking. The gap is way too narrow for the shape and length of the hook.

tmc_200R_lg.jpg

I am a low volume tyer so my hook costs have never been a huge concern. Unless you consider Mustad a bargain brand I rarely purchase budget hooks. I have tried J2 hooks (John Stockard house brand). They seemed okay. My point is that I was once told that J2 hooks were rebranded Saber’s. Does anyone know if this is true?

Sorry for the hijack.