Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Trouta_Control

Little Red River Arkansas

30 miles of river? must be lots variations in water over that stretch? and the camping?

Haven't been up there last 3 yrs(Idaho, 2 trips S. south Fla). But in the past at least one sometimes 2 trips a year up there. I usually start at the SpringRiver( no dam lotta canoers) then go over hit the WhiteRiver( huge) and then hit the short Norfork where at DryRunCreek by the hatchery let kids use your stuff and let them catch some nice cutthroats ( handicap and youth only). Lastly we go down to JFK park at the LilRed and fish off there. In summer under normal lake levels, you can fish/wade the park then about noon when they blow the Dam horn drive down to Swinging bridge for couple more hours before the high water gets there then go down to LibbyShoals for awhile till it gets there. BTW the record brown for a long time was 40 lbs. caught outa the LilRed. Amazing fisheries the tailwaters of ArkieLand. Although mostly stockers, lotta carry over fish and the browns do spawn successfully in the LR... great camping at JFK park but gets crowded with baiters might wanta reservation. Lotta trout docks/ resorts on the rivers too.

IMG-5623.png

Me and DD at the spring floating in our blow up boat

IMG-5624.png

Nice brown on low flows under the bridge in Cotter.

IMG-5626.png

Cutthroat near boat launch below Norfork Dam

IMG-5625.png

Thanks for your advice, Denduke! I may not set the new record for largest brown, just hoping to not get skunked. I really appreciate the pics and help!

I havent fished Idaho yet, that is still on the bucket list. Ive fished Montana and Wyoming though! Were not going out west this year, so looking for some locations closer to home besides the Smokies!