Fly Tying
yooperflyfisher

Brookie Flies

My locals seem to favor an elk hair caddis dry and a Zack's Blood Geyser nymph.

And a #12 black Woolly Bugger is where it is at some days.

I'd been told that Brookie flies needed to have red in them as well. Not sure I believe it but it's up to them, not me. ;-)

The Blood Geyser is certainly all about red!

Does anyone have a favorite for big Labrador brookies? I'm going there this summer and would like to spend the rest of the winter tying some sure bets.

I've fished Minnipi and the Ashawanapee, Large Wulffs on #6 and #8 hooks, your favorite mouse pattern, I liked a deer hair head with wraped rabbit strip body, and large bright streamers.

Silk...can you give the recipe?the one in the vise?....thanks

Thread:black,,,Tail: grizzly hackle fibers,,,Body:stripped grizzly hackle quill and strip of red floss or flexi floss,,,Wing:Grizzly hackle tips,,,,Hackle: Grizzly hackle

Instructions: Tie the same as any (what I call traditional quill body) mosquito except for the body. Tie in red floss first, then tie on the stripped grizzly quill. Wrap the quill up the fly creating the body, tie off. Then take the floss and pull forward underneath the body for the red belly ending at the same place you ended the quill body and tie off. Finish the same as traditional mosquito. Tip: My first batch I used regular floss. The trout teeth would destroy it. So I went over the ones I had not used with some head cement to help bind the floss fibers so the trout teeth would not tear the floss so easily. The second batch I started using a material called flexi floss. It's like a rubber band only colored like floss. It was more durable.