Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Coffey's Sparkleminnow

No-no, there won't be any Petitjean products on my bench ! tongue.gif

I just used a standard loop hook, but I'm gonna experiment with "splitting the thread" next time I set down to tie another batch.

I wasted $20.00 worth of Angel hair trying to figure out how to get the proportions right but I finally learned how to do it without wasting so much. It's something you have to see done...can't explain it in writing, or I'd share.

It's worth it though, it's a kick-ass fly!

I've been using wire for the dubbing loop.

Using a 3' dubbing board I make loops about 2' long and can do 6 to 7 flies with it.

I'll cut the angel hair 2"-2 1/2" for the loop and no cutting of it once it's put on.

Also after tying in the marabou I'll wrap the rest of the hook shank with it for a underbody.

Brent.

Try the color Black Light. I'll use this for night time Steelhead and Salmon for sure.

Yea, the black light color works well for salmon. Not bad on smallmouth either. I don't like to use wire to form the loop as the wire will corrode, and look crappy. Then there is the problem that the wire shows through the body material. The fish might not care........maybe, but I do. Nothing wrong with the mono thread. Like anything else, you just have to get used to it.

post-23-1110580737.jpg