Fly Tying
feathers5

Higa S.O.S. Nymph

I tied a bunch in size 12 and 14. Havent had a chance to use them yet, but I just stuck with the "original" black pattern with red wing case. I do think I changed out the bead and tied a few of each pattern with both silver and gold beads.

I don't tie those, so, can't answer your question. Is this the ONLY nymph pattern you plan to tie?

I don't tie those, so, can't answer your question. Is this the ONLY nymph pattern you plan to tie?

Hey Mike, no. I just wanted to tie a few and try them out on my waters. Trying new patterns is part of my fun. Bruce

Hey Bruce.

The waters I usually fish are dark, almost coffee color ... lots of tannin. I find that natural and dark colors work best. I usually tie in a "hot spot" of pink or yellow ... but I rarely use red. Red doesn't seem to attract as much attention, in my experience.

Turns out, when I get into some clear water, the natural colors seem to work just as well. But I have noticed that the lighter colors do a little better than the dark one.

Good luck with your S.O.S. pattern!

Well, I do tie those so I can answer your question and it never entered my mind that the S.O.S. pattern would be the only pattern you plan to tie.

I tie them in size 14-18, mostly in the original black pattern as JOSH. However I have also done well with an olive and purple. Both with the red wing case.

Higa's S.O.S. was originally tied in Black and designed as a Baetis pattern in sizes #16-#20. With the red wing case, it falls more into the attractor category so anything goes. I have seen them tied in Olive, Tan, Pink & Purple - generally in those same sizes...

PT/TB

Well, I do tie those so I can answer your question and it never entered my mind that the S.O.S. pattern would be the only pattern you plan to tie.

I tie them in size 14-18, mostly in the original black pattern as JOSH. However I have also done well with an olive and purple. Both with the red wing case.

Do you guys use the same wing color for both the olive and purple, black krystal flash?

I tied one this afternoon with brown/olive UTC 70 thread, olive dyed woodduck for the tail, and black peacock for the wings. And of course, I used red holographic tinsel in medium for the wing case. After I ran the silver wire up the body, and before I dubbed the thorax I used UV on the body for longevity sake or until I lose it under a rock or in a a tree, which will probably trump longevity. I was thinking of matching the wing color to the body. Like everyone else, I carry 100s of flies with me and use the same 10 on every trip. HA

Yes, I used the red wing case and silver wire on all.

For the olive I use Danville olive thread, ice dub brown olive, natural pheasant tail, and root beer krystal flash for the legs.

The purple, UTC purple thread, ice dub UV purple, black pheasant tail and black krystal flash.

I have never coated the thread with resin.

Not sure what you mean when you say wings.

Yes, I used the red wing case and silver wire on all.

For the olive I use Danville olive thread, ice dub brown olive, natural pheasant tail, and root beer krystal flash for the legs.

The purple, UTC purple thread, ice dub UV purple, black pheasant tail and black krystal flash.

I have never coated the thread with resin.

Not sure what you mean when you say wings.

I meant legs and not wings, my bad.

Tie a couple of each color and go fishing.

Record whichever one works best

Create different colors. Experiment

Tie a couple of each color and go fishing.

Record whichever one works best

Create different colors. Experiment

Yep, that's what I plan to do. I like to generate some discussion because I can always use some new ideas, we all can I think. That's the fun of this for me. Different people with different ideas. I could tie and fish the same flies all of the time but I like trying new patterns, if there really are new patterns. Thanks