Fly Tying
chugbug27

Ligas v Wapsi

Thinking about switching from Wapsi to Ligas for Antron dubbing needs. Anyone with a strong preference for one over the other who might chime in?

I have used Ligas dubbing since the early 80's when I got it for this price.

1e1amO8.jpg

It's $2.00 these days. I find that it is a much coarser material than Anton from either Wapsi or Spirit River (Hareline) and it does not have the natural sparkle of either. It might be more manageable after carding, but I have never tried it as a substitute for patterns that call for Antron...

I use the two combs below to prepare Antron for use as a veil on GLF's Sparkle Pupa. I doubt I would get the same results with Ligas dubbing...

PwyxUsX.jpg

PT/TB

Thanks PT, much appreciated. I've seen your tutorial on preparing Antron for sparkle pupa, never bothered, and (maybe as a result?...) always found other pupa patterns work better for me. I'll have to try your prep.

On the Ligas, you've been using it so long you must think it fits the bill nicely (better than other options?) for other dubbing uses?

Thanks PT, much appreciated. I've seen your tutorial on preparing Antron for sparkle pupa, never bothered, and (maybe as a result?...) always found other pupa patterns work better for me. I'll have to try your prep.

On the Ligas, you've been using it so long you must think it fits the bill nicely (better than other options?) for other dubbing uses?

These days, I usually use it as an additive to other dubbings for the thorax on Mayflies and bodies on some Caddis and Stonefly patterns...

PT/TB

I too enjoy Ligas dubbing.Havnt used wapsi dubbing in more than 10 years.

I have used Ligas for a long time and never was disappointed. Always my go-to for my much relied upon Elk Hair Caddis (#3 Caddis Green and #46 Rusty Amber) and Light Hendrickson dressings (hard to find the "Urine Stained Fox Belly Fur" the pattern calls for, but #33 Pink Fox does fine). ;-)