Fly Tying

I always use the CC option if it's there and skip the video if it's not there. One of the problems with the CC is that in most cases it is generated by sounds and often the speaker says words with an accent that CC turns into other words, so I'd welcome subtitles that were accurate translations rather than auto-generated.

It would be an obvious benefit to make the subtitles in several languages and to have them as an option.

Truth is that in most how to videos the presenter talks way to much.

I prefer sub-titled tying videos. That way I can turn the sound off and not have to listen to the horrible music most videos seem to insist on.

In fact, I prefer reading to listening most of the time.

40 years of playing music professionally gave me severe hearing loss, took 6 thousand of my hard earned dollars in exchange for mostly useless hearing aids (nothing beats the factory equipment) so subtitles are more a requirement than a choice for me. My two favorite tyers are Mcphail and Edwards. As an American with my hearing I really struggle with their accents and I have to watch their videos with headphones to pick out detail. I do this mostly for the historical information and suggested fishing technique about a given fly than the tying process.

Be a musician they said, it will be fun they said-

40 years of playing music professionally gave me severe hearing loss, took 6 thousand of my hard earned dollars in exchange for mostly useless hearing aids (nothing beats the factory equipment) so subtitles are more a requirement than a choice for me. My two favorite tyers are Mcphail and Edwards. As an American with my hearing I really struggle with their accents and I have to watch their videos with headphones to pick out detail. I do this mostly for the historical information and suggested fishing technique about a given fly than the tying process.

I hear you (or not.) Spent many years myself standing on a stage between a Marshall half-stack and a drum riser and a monitor. I have had ringing in my ears for about twenty years.

I hear you (or not.) Spent many years myself standing on a stage between a Marshall half-stack and a drum riser and a monitor. I have had ringing in my ears for about twenty years.

Same here- sadly self inflicted. The ringing never goes away but on the bright side the sound of rushing water from my favorite trout rivers does over power it-

Thank you so much for the replies guys, really helped me figure out what I should be doing with the videos!

I watch a lot of foreign films so yes I enjoy sub-titles. Fly tying, fly fishing, films I enjoy them all.

I did not want to start a new topic just for another YouTube channel related question. We have been working really hard to put out multiple fly tying videos a week recently and they come in two formats - the regular, rather lengthy and detailed videos and One Minute Ties that shows a really simple, fast tutorial of trying the fly.

Both of them have English subtitles, that help break the language barrier. I was wondering, which one do you guys prefer? Should we keep on doing both? Is there anything you think we should change in our videos? Thanks!

The regular tying video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g5MjSUzHQU&t

One Minute Ties:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5yQhT2Qvuk

P.S. The subtitles are written by hand and not the auto-generated type of stuff you tend to get

They both have their place. Novel techniques that need an explanation benefit from the longer format, but the 1 minute is all that was needed for the fly shown in that example.

I agree, both are very good videos, good flies, good technique, pace, info, etc.

The only critique I'd have is that on the one minute video I find it hard to both watch the video and read the dialogue. It worked -- I could do both -- but doing both wasn't so pleasant. I'd rather just watch that one without the distraction of the subtitles (except keep the materials list). Not sure if that would be smart to do, maybe not, but it's what I'd prefer to watch and you asked. On the longer one I enjoyed reading the dialogue. Just enough, and at a good pace for subtitles.

The only thing that bugs me is YT's Subtitle translation matrix. I'm still trying to figure out what Language they're using, 'cause it sure ain't a Language I'm familiar with!