Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Major League Baseball

I'm really enjoying watching the Phils v. Nationals on TV right now. So far I've watched every Phillies game and not once have I given a single thought about their salaries in comparison to mine or anybody else's. Who thinks like that and why? A great man once said, "the team the team the team." This great man also said pro players will play for money and for contracts but they will not play for "the team" again. I agree, I root for the team and not individual players for the team means so much more to a city, it's fan base and its local commerce and employment opportunities. What a great game.

You can tell by my avatar that I am a Tampa Bay Rays fan. I have been a MLB fan all of my life. As far as player salaries go, I say more power to them. Getting to where they are takes a lot of hard work and dedication. These guys are the best of the best. Anyone of their career's could be cut short by one play. An injury could become the end of their playing career. Actors, singers, and other performers make millions also. I don't think ballplayers are any less deserving.

BTW, if you want to talk about being underpaid, consider the public school teacher. I taught high school English and Special Education, and coached wrestling for many years in the Florida school system. I believe we were grossly underpaid. There is no such thing as evenings, weekends, and summers off. A dedicated teacher (and I believe most teachers are) has to work at home every evening and on weekends. During the summer we are taking college classes, going to inservices and seminars; and most of these with no pay. But, I never complained. I knew going in what I was going to face. I seriously believe I helped a lot of kids and that has made it all worth it.

Joe

Who thinks like that and why?

" ... pro players will play for money and for contracts but they will not play for 'the team' again."

I root for the team and not individual players for the team means so much more to a city...

This is part of what I DON'T get. If you have a high school team or college team, then you're rooting for YOUR team. Players from YOUR school, players from YOUR area.

Pro sports, as your above quote says, is ALL about money. There might not be a single player from YOUR area ... maybe none even from YOUR State. How do you root for a "team" that's made up of mercenaries from other parts of the Country ... or from the World if the City can afford to pay for them? They aren't YOUR people. They are in it for the money, just like any mercenary. As soon as someone offers them more, their loyalty the YOUR team goes right out the window. Loyalty should go both ways.

I taught high school English and Special Education

I believe we were grossly underpaid.

Thank you for your service. I feel you deserve as much, if not MORE, respect than most returning military members.

Of course, if the communities spent less on "Big Team" venues and teams, they'd probably be able to spend more on teachers. Would they do it? Probably not ... government people don't work for the common people anymore.