Fly Tying
Kimo

April Flies from the Vise

I had to look that up. $600.00 for a fly tying kit? No, I don't, and won't use one.

I do like the little three spool bobbin and the hackle pliers ... but that's still way too much money just to have a compact system.

Kind of goes with the other thread on vises. A good pair of Hemostats and a clamping system would do as well and be MUCH less expensive.

Nor do I. Although I have bulk flies around, I carry a few boxes with a few of everything I may need. If it's a travel situation, I may bring tying gear for the hotel but do not tie streamside.

I have clipped flies or darkened them with coffee but those are just adjustments.

OK, it seems we've moved to discussion in the "Flies from the vise" thread. I'll jump in anyway.

"A good pair of Hemostats and a clamping system would do as well and be MUCH less expensive." Mike, do you really feel like hemostats are as good as a vise. I'm pretty skeptical. Maybe for a select few flies in a limited capacity. I'd hate to try to spin some deer hair in the hemostats.

I have also come to really enjoy the rotary capability of my vise. Could I tie without it, of course, but why. Somebody needs to spend all my money before I die. That's why I earn it, so I can spend it.

OK, it seems we've moved to discussion in the "Flies from the vise" thread. I'll jump in anyway.

"A good pair of Hemostats and a clamping system would do as well and be MUCH less expensive." Mike, do you really feel like hemostats are as good as a vise. I'm pretty skeptical. Maybe for a select few flies in a limited capacity. I'd hate to try to spin some deer hair in the hemostats.

1) No, we haven't moved the discussion on vises to this thread. My apologies for answering a query without actually paying attention to what thread it was posted on.

2) Poopdeck already transferred a reply to the vise thread ... My reply will be there also.

Back to flies from the vise.

Haven't tied much lately, but managed to get some time at the vise this week. Here's a few that came of it.

post-59266-0-90796300-1556334377_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-89919000-1556334439_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-22284000-1556334533_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-56568100-1556334919_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-94626100-1556334935_thumb.jpg

Does anyone use a "Marco Polo" fly tying kit for travel or stream side tying?

Thanks,

DoctorD

Ive had that thing in my hands and used it.

When I first saw it I thought it was a joke.

Then I used it .... everything in that kit is very high-quality.

All I can really tell you about it is I clamped a size 16 hook it in and a 1/0 bass hook in it and they dont move.

Is it worth $600? Only you and your wallet can determine that but it is cool as hell.

I have to agree with Mr. Parker! I'm normally not a big fan of the XLong, featherwing streamers, but flytire has me coming back multiple times to look at that firestarter. Proportion, colour, simplicity and class. I will have to tie this to see how it swims. Thanks.