Fly Tying
xvigauge

Polar Bear Hair

I know it is no longer available, but when I was a kid at 14 and started tying flies (I am 68 now), it was legal to buy and use polar bear hair. A few of the mail order fly tying supply shops carried it and sold it. I have read the calf tail is a good substitute but it lacks the yellowish sheen that sets polar bear hair apart. Anyone know of another substitute material?

Joe

Find a polar bear rug and you're in business.

laugh.png I had to go look ... found one for $22,000.00. Yes ... that's twenty two THOUSAND dollars. ohmy.png

Take a trip to Canada.

Don't get caught with illegal fur or feathers - the penalties can be very stiff.

Take a trip to Canada.

Don't get caught with illegal fur or feathers - the penalties can be very stiff.

We all know this. Please, let's not devolve this thread into another "debate" on endangered species.

Saltwater guys sometimes substitute yak for pb. If you are thinking kip tail though then I’m guessing you don’t need length. Pb is typically priced by length * square inch.

Agree with Redietz above. Skunk is the closest natural material I have seen. The texture is similar and the shape of the hair appears to be triangular(have not checked under microscope but have tied a few flies with each in years past.) The fly shop I worked at 40 years ago carried PB that was legal at that time but most of what was available was crappy quality with broken tips and pretty yellowed, FWIW,

Find a polar bear rug and you're in business.

laugh.png I had to go look ... found one for $22,000.00. Yes ... that's twenty two THOUSAND dollars. ohmy.png

Gulp!