Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rjohn7

Alpaca wool

i made some smaller ones i hope of picking a pair of pretty punkinseeds at the ponds or a bunch of bigmouth bass off the beds on a black n blue bug

Alpaca naturally comes in 11 shades from white to black including browns.  I get mine from an alpaca farm just south of me in Marathon, NY.  They have a store on site that sells yarn and garments as well as ~1/2 gallon bags of the wool.  It's a grab-bag type arrangement - some bags may have 2 colors other 4 different colors etc.  I went in a said I was tier and that I was looking for a variety more than volume.  The owner went back to where the wool was processed and came out with a bag of 7 of those 11 colors.  Would not accept payment but she had mentioned that the local sheriff liked to fly fish.  I tied 7 patterns and when I was in the area about a month later delivered them to her to share with her friend the sheriff.  I don't think it'll get me out of any speeding tickets but I hope he had fun with them.

Also, I do agree that the material dyes well.  Try to get the natural colors and one large bag of white and dye to your hearts content.

This stuff pretty slick and fine.  Good dubbing but not sure about as fiber tails.  

30CD3A86-CEB4-4E4D-A78F-F7EF42EE837A.jpeg

Depends there's an Alpaca place here in Vermont and they do have white ones, and they sell the raw fiber and roving from them.  They have a lot of different colored yarns, and I looked at a bag of the white roving and it could be dyed easily.  https://livingthedreamalpacafarm.com/collections/yarns-and-fibers?page=2  

@RickZieger

I picked some roving wool up at the craft store a while back, but is seemed pretty 'stringy', especially for the size of flies I usually tie.  Do you cut it into short lengths and blend it when making your brushes?