Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Rc Clodbuster project #2

Maiden shake down run for the most part was a success. Got 30 mins of crazy speed and outside of being on the edge of out of control at full throttle it was a blast. Until the very end when the pitchers mound rubber decided the fun was over. Couple broken rod ends and a pulled apart shock but nothing too major to fix.

h4DEfC.jpg

They were. Back then I was in my late 20's and it was a test even then to race on a track because you always had to be looking ahead for the turn or jump because it would come up so fast. Now that I'm close to 50 I honestly don't know if I could still race on a track, I just don't know if my hand/eye reaction times would be able to keep with with the speeds they go now a days with these new brushless motors and lipo batteries.

I just don't know if my hand/eye reaction times would be able to keep with with the speeds they go now a days

That's why I prefer slow action fly rods.

Mike you said a mouthful there. Took me about 3 hours of cleaning the other day. Not just because I'm OCD, but you actually HAVE to take the bearings out of the axles and such to clean them after running through water. Don't want to ruin them by letting them rust. Honestly though it's not that big of a deal, working on it is somewhat relaxing as well.

normal, daily mind of most people.

05484b34600901b816d54f8fc1a7434e3755a3-v

The average mind when engaged in a favorite hobby/task.

56a4d29443588aacc2d92c0e57bee0e6.jpg

Not hard to figure why we like our hobbies.

Well that was a long messy job Decided to so some shaving on my Renegades. I liked them stock in the mud and water but they really seemed to slide a lot on dirt & gravel and other hard surfaces. I also didn't care for the squared look of them either. So I spent some time and rounded the edges as well as took the point off the treads to make them a little more flat for more surface area. First time shaving tires and I think I like the way they came out. First pic is shaved on left / stock on right. As a bonus it took a total of about 75 grams of weight total off the four tires per the digital scale.

Shaved on left and stock on right

DNRcM1.jpg

8zOHLG.jpg

Also upgraded to some high quality aluminum countergears since the brushless motor power twisted the stock ones after only 4 runs lol. Got some adjustable aluminum motor mounts and some 17t pinions as well so should add around 5mph more to the top end.

tMSI1a.jpg

Vid of today testing the new metal gears, 17t pinion and shaved tires. I think stupid fast would best describe it From the straight on angle its hard to get a feel for just how fast it's moving, but the parking lot is about 200ft long, and I really only hit full throttle right around the 23 second mark, the rest was about 3/4 throttle because it was a little scary envisioning all the money hitting a curb at 40mph. The white truck that goes by on the road behind is doing about 25mph so that gives you a comparison speed for how fast this little thing is moving. I think I may drop back down one or two on the pinion because its almost too fast to handle. On another note...the shaved tires handle awesome. Much better than they were stock. I think that was time well spent.

Did you roll it at :51? Sounded like it. Yeah, that looks way too fast for scale, but it does look cool.

If you took that onto a football field, would your control signal reach to the other end? Make those full power runs on a smooth, grass surface. And have the distance to run it for a while at full speed.

Anyway, looks like you're having fun with that! Nice job on the tires, too.

Did you roll it at :51?

Ohhhh yeah, when I hiot the brakes and turned it traction rolled and slide on its roof about 20ft LOL.

Yeah it has a pretty good range, I think around 1/4 mile or there abouts.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this