Fly Tying

Trout Openers finally here actually it was on saturday I went fly fishing at a little unnamed creek on saturday and my uncle caught a 6-8 inch brookie on a marabou clouser sort of thing that was the only fish we caught but I missed a few fish and had a great time 👍

We are fortunate in the Ozarks that we can fish all year, some waters more restricted than others, but the water is open and so is the season, mostly.

Here in Tennessee trout fishing is open year round. But, I still prefer to fish in warmer weather.

Joe

Almost the same here in PA. Special reg streams or sections of streams are pretty much open year round. The stocked streams are closed to fishing for about 6 weeks before opening day which opens about two weeks earlier in the southeast portion of the state. The fly shop I frequent is on a stretch of Chester Creeks that flows through its property. They stock it, so I can fish it any time. Plus it also a decent warm water fishery. Like xvigauge I prefer fishing in warmer weather. I went to college in NW Tennessee long before I took up fly fishing and it was bass and bream there.

On another thread ... I was accused of rubbing salt into wounds. biggrin.png

Not actually my intent, here, but ... well, okay ... kind of. We don't have trout here. We also don't have any "closed seasons" on any freshwater species. AND ... it's always warm enough to go fishing.

We do have Sea Trout, Snook and other fish with closed seasons. Now, the question I have and the reason for this post:

If there are other fish in the same stream as trout, can you still go after those during trout "closed season" periods? Or is the "closed season" on the water ... not the fish?

If I am not mistaken ... you can be fishing for Grouper or Snapper during closed Snook season. If you hook a Snook, you have to let it go without lifting it from the water. I could be wrong, since I don't fish salt water.

Is it the same for trout?

I thought a "trout opener" was a fish cleaning tool.

On another thread ... I was accused of rubbing salt into wounds. :D

Not actually my intent, here, but ... well, okay ... kind of. We don't have trout here. We also don't have any "closed seasons" on any freshwater species. AND ... it's always warm enough to go fishing.

We do have Sea Trout, Snook and other fish with closed seasons. Now, the question I have and the reason for this post:

If there are other fish in the same stream as trout, can you still go after those during trout "closed season" periods? Or is the "closed season" on the water ... not the fish?

If I am not mistaken ... you can be fishing for Grouper or Snapper during closed Snook season. If you hook a Snook, you have to let it go without lifting it from the water. I could be wrong, since I don't fish salt water.

Is it the same for trout?

It’s on the water here in Michigan you can fish the river mouths all year just not up the river even if they were open I probably wouldn’t go fishing anyway to get to the rivers you would have to wade through 3 feet of snow and the rivers would be frozen at most places anyway.

It is common for a Walleye season to avoid overharvest during the spawn. In those cases, of course you can fish for other fish and you will occasionally catch a walleye. But you would be ticketed if you were keeping them (obviously) or if you were obviously outfitted for walleye. I suppose there is some for the courts to decide, but it's pretty obvious in most cases. Most people that fish for them out of season are probably going to keep a few and it will be slam dunk. I saw a guy last night catch a nice walleye on a chunk of hot dog while cat fishing. Accidents happen. But it would be hard to convince law enforcement that you are catfishing if you are running deep crank baits or lindy rigs. Trout streams are probably more obvious. Not a very good argument that you are fly fishing for creek chubs or whitefish. In most cases, given the limited range of species, trout streams are closed entirely for seasons.

Here in Massachusetts you can fish most water year round if you can take the cold. Keeping fish/catch and release is regulated on some waterways by the time of the year. Generally (IMO) most fly anglers start to get out in March-April depending on the weather. Currently our rivers are really high because its been a wet spring so far-

We don't have "Closed Seasons" on species of fish per se, but from time to time CPW will close certain stretches of rivers due to low water levels or high air temperatures (drought conditions). Catch & Release is dependent on the particular stretch of water (Dream Stream, Blue River, etc.)

Alan :)