Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Too many trout

People like that make me sick. I saw one online last month that was just unreal. Few guys had something like 200+ walleye on them. That's how resources get depleted in a hurry.

Just on a sidenote, judging from that picture I think the DNR had one of those happy scales if those are 2-3# fish. More like 12-14" stockers. Every spring they nail a few up in MN with a hundred walleyes or so, and the year after they put a limit they caught some Iowa farmers with about a hundred perch over the limit. I've seen many people who I knew had over their limit argue that I had to remember all the trips with but a fish or two so a couple over is no big thing. Though I tend to sympathize with them I also believe in the law. I release a large part of my catch on every trip simply because I don't feel like cleaning them but a couple of fresh fish of nice fillet size always go good in the pan.

If you ever put fish in the big freezer it gets easy to be over the possession limit.

I agree that those fish don't appear to be 18"-21" long which is about where trout would be to weigh 2-3#

Poaching seems to be hereditary/tradition, I've seen parents in the parks teaching their kids to cheat on limits, keep two or more stringers or use bait in fly only areas etc. Wardens/rangers probably catch 15% or less of the law breakers. I know that I rarely see a warden, probably one fishing trip out of a hundred.

it was in an illinois warden report that 3 anglers were fishing before the park opened at 8am 8am they were set up ice fishing 1/2 mile walk across the lake. when asked for a license one of them got on his phone and downloaded the app for a license. he didnt get ticketed for no license.