Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Finally got the garden in shape

zIT6l7.jpg

Bougainvillea bonsai tree is starting to finally show some summer colorful bracts now. These guys are real heat lovers so while I don't care for the 90f temps, this tree loves it.

i8oTPG.jpg

If you'd like a laugh, this was it 3 years ago not long after I got it ohmy.png It's still got a ways to go but it's definitely come a long ways over the past few years.

Wow that's some serious improvement, I looked it up to see if I could keep it here outside year round, doesn't look promising, deer are also a constant problem, even on my patio area.

They are a tropical so during winter they come inside and just sit under a normal 4ft shop light and do well all winter. So you could have one there long as it was in a pot and just bring it inside during any colder months.

Bougainvillea is almost a weed here. Once it's planted, it's hard to control.

They grow fairly fast, which makes them good Bonsai ... as Steve has shown.

What do you do with them during Michigan winters? Do you take them in the house and use grow lights?

Yeah I bring them inside and put them under lights for about 16hrs per day. They don't need any special lights though, just plain ol' 4ft shop lights with around 3200 lums is fine for them. They usually drop all their leaves when you first bring them inside for the winter, then they push out a new set of leaves while inside that is not as lush as the ones it has when outside. Then in the spring when it goes outside it does it all over again and gets a new set of nice lush leaves like it has now. Pretty neat seeing how they adapt to their climate like they do.

if i tried a garden like that, the leaves would already be turning color and falling off sad.png

Wife and I call our yard, "Chell's Plant Hospice" ... It's where good plants come to die. We take care of them until they're gone.