Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
utyer

Back to my Roots

Journey through the past - I think this was an awesome "project" and it sounded like a blast.

Fish don't change. Most of the patterns I tie and fish the most, with a few exceptions, are old, traditional patterns here in the Smokies; some of them of local origin, some not, but all with a long history here. And they still work just fine.

Examples are the Yellow Palmer, Charlie's Whopper, Gray Hackle Yellow, Female Adams, Tellico Nymph, Secret Weapon Nymph, Thunderhead, Hazel Creek, Jim Charley, Yallerhammer, Haystack, CK and George Nymphs. Another advantage of these old patterns is that, sadly, a lot of fish don't see them very often these days.

A few new patterns that have made it into my regular rotation are the Higa's SOS, Pat's Rubber Legs, Prince Nymph, and some of the Perdigons.

Thanks for this post. I am nostalgic about Pheasant tail soft hackles. Any kind of soft hackle, really. Plus the Royal Wulff, Adams parachute, Hauffman's stone fly, Troth's Elk hair caddis, Gold ribbed Hare's Ear and the Brassie. That about sums up my regular Trout box.