Fly Tying
mbourdon

Tennessee and Georgia trout streams

I am driving from Kansas City down to Florida for vacation In late July and have somehow convinced my wife to let me leave a few days early and stop and fly fish on the way down (I will be driving alone). I am unfamiliar with tennessee and georgia trout streams and would love some input from those of you that live in those areas or know the areas well. Not looking for any secrets, just a little advice on where to start. I prefer to avoid tailwaters (unless the outlet flows from dams are pretty predictable), but would certainly consider one if it provides the best opportunities. I have looked up the top trout streams in both states and some of the options look promising but I am still curious about peoples personal experiences and preferences. I generally fish barbless and always catch and release, so additional regulations seldom affect where I can fish. Thanks in advance for any help you can be.

Michael

Michael, I live in east Tennessee in Townsend about 3 miles or so from the National Park entrance. There are many streams in the Park, so finding one to fish is not a problem, especially if you are agile enough to get up and down the banks. I am not (68 years old w/ arthritis), but I have several spots that are pretty easily accessed. Most fisher persons leave those spots alone thinking that too many people are probably fishing them. I would consider any place along the Middle Prong of the Little River and if you want to pursue wild brook trout, a two mile hike from where the road ends up to Lynn Camp Prong will provide brookie opportunities. The East Prong up to and even past Elkmont is good. Laurel Creek on the west side is good if you can find access. Send me a PM and let me know when you are coming and I can take you to some spots. If you do come to Townsend, be sure to visit the Little River Fly Shop. It is a wonderful place to behold.

Joe

Thank you for the information and the kind offer. I will shoot you a pm as I get closer to the trip. I am still agile (40 w/arthritis) but not nearly as agile as I used to be. Generally too stubborn to admit to my limitations, but they show up all the same. Thank you also for the recommendation on the fly shop. A good fly shop can certainly make or break a fishing day.

Every time I travel to a new area, I go to ...

https://takemefishing.org/

... and look at places listed there. You can browse State info, some local info and licensing fees for each State.

Yeah, that is a nice thing to do, but there is nothing like getting first hand info from one of the locals who knows all the good spots and has the inside track.

Joe

Thanks for the info Joe. Like the o.p. I'm also thirsty for some local flavor on North Georgia / Tennessee trout fishing. Your post is very helpful.

Thanks for the info Joe. Like the o.p. I'm also thirsty for some local flavor on North Georgia / Tennessee trout fishing. Your post is very helpful.

I will extend to you the same offer. Let me know if and when you are coming to the National Park and I can introduce you to some places.

Joe

Michael, are you coming to Central Florida? If so, will you be allowed to fish here, during your stay?

If so, I've got a boat we can go hit the St. Johns River or area lakes in. Just let me know.

Mike - Thanks for your offer as well. I will not be in Central Florida this trip. We are headed down to Marco Island. I am driving down to bring my kayaks and other long and heavy fishing gear that I would be without if I had to take a plane. I will be fishing down that way, although having a family with me will limit my time on the water. My wife is very accommodating, but she does have her limits. Somehow she doesnt think a vacation is very good if I leave her with the kids and go fishing all day. Quite a mystery to me, but I am sure her perspective is valid. I am usually up your way when I go to florida and will look you up next time I am in that part of the state.

Yep ... kids do get in the way. Have fun and hopefully the weather cooperates.

Offer is open, anytime. Just need to know a few days in advance.

Offer is open to anyone coming this way!

My wife is very accommodating, but she does have her limits. Somehow she doesnt think a vacation is very good if I leave her with the kids and go fishing all day. Quite a mystery to me, but I am sure her perspective is valid.

My wife says crazy things like that too, maybe their related?