Fly Tying
flytire

any guesses?

We called them Mosquito Hawks

Do they really eat mosquitoes?

No ... another example of an "Old wives' tale".

Adult crane flies do not feed. The larvae are the only feeding forms. They feed on roots of grasses and decaying organic matter. The food sources for the larvae remain abundant due to the regions the insects inhabit, including parts of Atlantic Canada and western provinces like British Columbia near the rainforests of the Pacific Northwest in the U.S.

We have them in Nebraska too. I guess the first part was more important. There is some species of Cranefly larva that "they say" eat mosquito larva. I always figured they flew really fast and skewered the skeeters then came home and roasted them.

We have them in Nebraska too. I guess the first part was more important. There is some species of Cranefly larva that "they say" eat mosquito larva. I always figured they flew really fast and skewered the skeeters then came home and roasted them.

This from Wikipedia:

The larvae of a few species consume other living aquatic insects and invertebrates, which could potentially include mosquito larvae, though this has not been documented

Many crane fly species have aquatic larvae and they can be an important food source in some trout streams, as can the egg laying adults. (The Killer Bug and Walt's Worm are both good imitations of those larvae.)