Fly Tying
TIER

How do I avoid breathing inhead cement vapors?

Don't bother avoiding the fumes. They are harmless.

This guy's been huffing glue since his early teens ...

Ugly-Face-Man-2.jpg

Ain't hurt him one bit !!!

i hav herd four yearss thta gluss and melltin led fer jiggs in closet spacs wil damag bran sells. i kin tel yu I hav dun dese tings forr yeers and nevur aflected me in ny wae. Aalso I ki8n noww eet iced creeme as fas as I wont too.

When I had my darkroom (lots of noxious fumes there) I used a small fan that was placed near the developer (first tray) and blew towards a ventilation fan at the other end of the sink, about eight feet away.

If you worry about the fumes from head cement, you should know that the FDA has determined that human salavia is the major cause of cancer in the USA - but only when taken in small amouts over a long period of time...best advice is to spit as often as possible!

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. That's what you should really be worrying about. Fishermen are exposed to this compound all the time.

I loved "Fly tying with Stan Lowe" !!

I wish they'd done a whole series of them. On par with or better than "Fly tying with Uncle Ken" and way better than most "Hank Patterson."

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. That's what you should really be worrying about. Fishermen are exposed to this compound all the time.

Haven't drowned yet. LOL

And it is not colorless. It as blue color if it is deep enough because it absorbs the other colors leaving blue.

Does that mean the gases in the atmosphere aren't colorless? When I look up, I also see blue. Don't you?

Does that mean the gases in the atmosphere aren't colorless? When I look up, I also see blue. Don't you?

If you look at the sun you see white light. The blue of the sky is when we are looking AWAY from the sun, so the blue HAS to be scattered light.

The the earth's atmosphere is not composed ONLY of oxygen, nitrogen and trace gases. It has particles of dust and water that scatter light. Blue light has the hif energy = short wavelength = more scattering by particles in the earth's atmosphere. So most of the scattered light is blue. That is why the sky looks blue.

Note that the sky is not always blue, For example, we see a rainbow if we look through moisture. The moisture acts like a prism and separates the light into R G BIV = Red Green Blue Indigo and Violet. In this case, the water drops separate the white light into the color spectrum which reaches our eyes. This is not scattering of light, it is the result of differential refraction of the colors in white light.

So there is both refraction and scattering depending on the amount and type of particles in our atmosphere.

Another reason we see a blue sky rather than indigo and violet is that one of the 3 chromophobes (cones) in our retina is centered on the color blue so our eyes are more sensitive to blue than indigo and violet.

Incidentally NOT all gases are colorless. The look colorless just like water vapor looks colorless. Liquid oxygen is a blue color.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_oxygen