Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Tragedy reported in Belize

I posted something on the fly fishing board that anyone that travels south of the border to fish may want to read about... I posted it there to get the greatest distribution since this board goes very quiet periodically...

Essentially a US fly fishing angler and his guide were shot to death while on the water fishing... Not very much detail at present but an item to keep track of... Wish it weren't so...

From what I can gather ... the American was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. For reasons not detailed, it appears the gunmen were targeting the guide, as they'd already fired shots at his house.

Even though it's probably NOT safer, I'm glad I don't feel any need to travel to other Countries just to fish. Plenty of places right here in the States.

Posted this as a heads up for traveling anglers... I wouldn't hesitate to fish anywhere that's not an active conflict zone but recent reports out of the Dominican Republic and Belize do need to be noted.

Mostly visiting anglers are a great benefit to under developed areas since the monies they spend and the reports they disseminate can do a lot for places with few jobs... just as long as it's a good experience. Me, I'm afraid my traveling days are long passed.. I'm content to fish my local waters for the the active years I have remaining...