Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
IRLyRiser

Photo dump from past few months

Great photos - they're all professional quality (and I used to have to submit photos for magazines...).

Love that old school fork for your pushpole as well... It's been years since I made one like that...

I've always figured that a wooden fork was just a bit quieter on shell or oysters than the modern forks - but that's just me...

I mainly got it because I always though they looked cool. But they do pole pretty quiet. No mud bar takes a lot of drag and splashing away too. Ive been going through a retro phase. I got an old style Diana whisker SS reel and spooled it with mono. Only use bucktail jigs on it. Caught a solid trout on it the other day. Was a lot of fun.

One of the reels I hand my anglers when we're using spinning gear is an old (model) Daiwa 2600SS Whisker reel. Found it on line, new in the box and just had to have it... Don't think they've been on the market in twenty years - but still a great reel for tossing small plugs at tarpon... Retro is just fine -but that reel is set up with 20lb braid (and tarpon in the 30 to 70lb range need every bit of that braid's advantages...).

Here's a pic of our best snook this year (so far....) taken with that reel using one of the lures I make - and on a rod that I built...

DhgaYuY.jpg

figure I'd have to be awful lucky to ever hook another one that size - particularly around Chokoloskee where big snook just get eaten by the sharks that live with them... This big girl was very carefully released in good shape...