Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

How do I fix my 8 wt rod?

Since the OP never wrote that the rod was an Echo, how do you know?

You must know the OP? I'm just curious.

TIER has only been a member since May. We ran through a thread he started when he was looking to buy an 8 weight rod.

2 + 2 = This is probably the rod that ended that thread.

I had my 8wt BEFORE I joined. Heck, I bought it last summer!

One of the younger new members was asking about his Echo rod he bought. I was thinking that was you, but it may have been the other young guy whom just recently joined who's name escapes me at the moment.

People are trying to help you TIER. Why would you make a thing out of your age and when you bought your rod?

It's near impossible for anyone to help you without a picture.

I'm not sure if you really want help or if you just like to post stuff.

People are much more willing to help you if you are receptive to the help they offer.

Try this " No, that wasn't me with the Echo, mine is a "XYZ"

If we knew the brand, we could better direct you. For instance many manufacturers have a lifetime warranty. Since we don't know your brand, we can't help.

Anyway, we are here to help if you want it.

I don't know the length of the rod you broke. Just from experience, when you break 6" off of a rod, if you just have to replace the tip, you might not have a 8 wgt rod anymore. Years ago I built an 8' 5 wgt on a no name blank and broke 6" off at the tip. Clean break, no crushed parts. I just replaced the tip. When I went out to test cast it after the repair. I couldn't load my 5 wgt line. Tried my 6 wgt line, a bit of an improvement. My 8 wgt line was the only one that I could load and get a decent cast with. So I had a 7 1/2' 8 wgt. Wasn't any use to me. I turned it into a spinning rod that served me well for many years, before I really broke and made it useful for spare parts.

I use a couple rods that have been put back together with a stent and an over wrap. It's pretty possible to repair a break and much better, imo, than just gluing on an oversize tiptop.

But by far the best repair is to obtain replacement sections from the manufacturer. Even if it's not a warrantee deal I'd inquire into repair parts from the maker.

People are trying to help you TIER. Why would you make a thing out of your age and when you bought your rod?

It's near impossible for anyone to help you without a picture.

I'm not sure if you really want help or if you just like to post stuff.

People are much more willing to help you if you are receptive to the help they offer.

Try this " No, that wasn't me with the Echo, mine is a "XYZ"

If we knew the brand, we could better direct you. For instance many manufacturers have a lifetime warranty. Since we don't know your brand, we can't help.

Anyway, we are here to help if you want it.

Mark, Very well said.

I use a couple rods that have been put back together with a stent and an over wrap. It's pretty possible to repair a break and much better, imo, than just gluing on an oversize tiptop.

But by far the best repair is to obtain replacement sections from the manufacturer. Even if it's not a warrantee deal I'd inquire into repair parts from the maker.

I've used the "stent" repair on several rods that were brought to me, both when just the tip was broken and when the middle section (3 pc rod) was snapped. I've even used it on a "crushed" rod when only a small (no more than an 1") was crushed. I don't think it alters the rod much if it is just the tip section, middle section gives a little different action IMO..

TIER, a "stent" repair is when you take a small section of another broken rod that is just small enough to slide inside the rod to be repaired. I save broken rods for this purpose. Glue the short section inside and then wrap the rod on both sides of the break, then varnish. I'm fishing an eight weight Sage that I repaired in this way.

At/near the tip it may be too small inside for a piece of another rod, a piece of music wire can be used in the right size.

At/near the tip it may be too small inside for a piece of another rod, a piece of music wire can be used in the right size.

+1

Crosswater is the line Reddington is the maker right? Give reddington a call, it's a fairly cheap rod I think backcountry/steep and cheap gas the older one on sale for 55$ right now.