Fly Tying
TIER

Why do people look at me so oddly when I'm fly fishing?

Hey Mike, two advantages I can think of the Tenkara over cane poles (there may be others) is that Tenkara rods are extremely light in weight and almost effortless to handle. Another is that they telescope into a very small package and are easy to store and transport, even easier than a fly rod. The telescoping cane pole type rods I have seen are made of fiberglass and are heavy and not very compact.

Joe

... Tenkara rods are extremely light in weight and almost effortless to handle.

... they telescope into a very small package and are easy to store and transport ...

I'll agree with you on those points, Joe. But for me, neither of those are a benefit for me.

Since the majority of my fishing is done from a boat, I don't need the telescoping and easy transport aspect.

I also want a rod that can, if need be, lift a fish out of the weeds. From everything I've seen, the light weight nature of the tenkara rods gives them very little backbone. Maybe a lot of fun on an open creek, but not much use in heavy lily pads or hydrilla.

I would never take on with me when traveling. Since I never know, before I get there, how far out I'll need to reach. I need a reel.

In the right conditions, I am sure that light weight cane pole is a lot of fun.

Remember a bunch of moons ago every kid had to have a Tickle Me Elmo toy for Christmas ? Tenkara " to me" is the Tickle Me Elmo of fly fishing.

You know ... I had to go back and re-think this. There are some serious questions that need to be addressed before a full answer can be given.

1. Are you doing pop/lock dancing while you're casting?

2. Do you wear clown suits or golfing attire when you go fishing? For that matter, are you dressing in traditional plaid sports coats and deerstalker hat?

3. Are you getting the line wrapped around your head every other cast?

4. Are you, generally, bleeding profusely after your first 10 casts or so?

These are the types of behavior that could draw "odd" looks from by standers.

Just thinking out loud.

You know ... I had to go back and re-think this. There are some serious questions that need to be addressed before a full answer can be given.

1. Are you doing pop/lock dancing while you're casting?

2. Do you wear clown suits or golfing attire when you go fishing? For that matter, are you dressing in traditional plaid sports coats and deerstalker hat?

3. Are you getting the line wrapped around your head every other cast?

4. Are you, generally, bleeding profusely after your first 10 casts or so?

These are the types of behavior that could draw "odd" looks from by standers.

Just thinking out loud.

You mean none of those things are normal?

I’ve gotta rethink this fly fishing thing.

Remember a bunch of moons ago every kid had to have a Tickle Me Elmo toy for Christmas ? Tenkara " to me" is the Tickle Me Elmo of fly fishing.

I doubt if there were any tickle me Elmo toys 200 years ago in Japan.

Joe

I doubt if there were any tickle me Elmo toys 200 years ago in Japan.

Joe

Didn't see any when you visited there, that year? tongue.png

No Mike,I didn't see any then or ever. I don't think Tenkara is a fad at all. It is here to stay. And, if one has never tried it, he should not speculate. I don't mean to be an advocate for Tenkara. I have tried it and it is not for me. I much prefer my traditional fly rod, reel, and line; but, I can see some advantages to Tenkara after having tried it. My GF fishes only with a Tenkara rod and she loves it. Also, beginners have an easier time with Tenkara as they don't have a reel and line to worry about and can concentrate on presentation and placement.

Joe

I don't think tenkara as practiced in USA has much to do with the traditional Japanese fishing method- I sure don't believe graphite rods and plastic lines were used 200 years ago. Fad or not it's all about marketing just as elmo was.

I don't think tenkara as practiced in USA has much to do with the traditional Japanese fishing method- I sure don't believe graphite rods and plastic lines were used 200 years ago. Fad or not it's all about marketing just as elmo was.

Nor was graphite rods, maybe bamboo rods were, as I have seen some from the late 1800's. Early rods were often wood, lines were woven horse hair. I do agree, it is all about marketing, sales hype and the almighty dollar. The method depends on the user, same as with all fishing styles. Most Tenkara people that I know are quite similar in style and locations of the early Japanese, others are doing nothing more than beating the water and driving the fish elsewhere (just as some Sage users, one comes to mind in particular), or trying to catch monsters with it. I'm kind of like Joe, I'm not an advocate that everyone should use it, or even try it. I do use it in certain conditions and enjoy it in those conditions. But my main fly rods are all 4 pc modern materials, and are the rods I mainly use.

Maybe it's because:

-- They're sizing me up, checking me out to see what kind of stuff I've got, and if it's better/worse than what they've got. For the record, it's worse... much worse.

-- I'm in their 'spot'.

FWIW... I 'western' fly fish. I also put a chunk of rainbow Play-doh on a weighted hook & huck it from shore. Right now, I'm playing about with Tenkara.

Why?

Because they all interest me, & they all catch fish.

Now all the Sage casters are thinking "Is he talking about me?"

Nope, unless they fish around Deckers or Cheesman Canyon, then maybe.