Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

7'9" 3wt 2pc

Ok, So the 3WT arrived and is officially slimed. We headed out to my little hotspot pond yesterday afternoon late. We caught several dozen fish each...Bass Bream and Shellcrackers.

The 3wt is very well balanced, light and casts very well

Thanks Steve

post-64325-0-35976900-1564335986_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-88381500-1564335999_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-15474300-1564336017_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-33501700-1564336041_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-83010200-1564336075_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-13507400-1564336121_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-58243500-1564336138_thumb.jpg

Looks like an enjoyable day on the water for sure. And the Teton reel....I use to love those reels. My local fly shop that went out of business about 15 yrs ago use to carry them all the time. I haven't touched a Teton in years but they were always a real quality reel back then.

I was wondering what was going on with that. Because after seeing yours I looked to see if they were still in business because I thought I remembered them going out like 15-20 yrs ago. Then I googled them and found the websiteblink.png I thought I was losing my mind or something lol

I actually had a fish on a short time later that would have dwarfed that one. It gulped up the same spider in that photo. I saw the take,but never really saw the whole fish. I'm pretty sure it was a bass. It gave a strong steady pull. He took me into the backing twice,but, no jumps. Finally after tightening and loosening the drag, Palming the spool and everything else I knew to do, the line popped. When I checked the tippet, it was badly chafed, so I'm thinking Bass. There are some gianormous grass carp in there,but dont think they would chafe a line.

I was standing there talking to the landowner when the fish hit and he was freaking out. We both saw the take,but again, not well enough to ID the fish positively. If it was a Bass, it would have been well over 8,just judging from what I did see of the body

Bass ... or a huge Gar. My longest fight with a fish was a Gar about 5 feet long, that was tail hooked. It swiped at the lure and flipped it's tail, and was hooked. Crank bait on 20# test braid. I couldn't break the line, I couldn't turn the fish to weaken it, and it wasn't really fighting hard ... it was just swimming away from me.

On a fly, I've had lots of Gar surface hit a fly and fool me. Thinking it's a huge bass only to see a Gar come to the surface a few minutes or seconds later.

I hope it was a bass, and you get another chance at it !!!