Fly Tying
Gundriver64

Hook Organizing

I made this but it's a pain to get hooks which are behind others and I've outgrown it and need something that holds more.

I like your system, you've just outgrown it. You just need a few more 2by4s, one for dry flies and one for streamers, for instance. Keep the hooks you use a lot in front! At least they don't need to take up desktop space..

Happy Tyin',

Bill_729

If you knock that box on the floor you're screwed sad.png

Not if the the cover is snapped closed.

My choice is Craftmate Lockables carried by Michaels and Amazon. (sorry, link would not paste here). Best feature is that the lock allows only 1 compartment to be open at a time, so spills are not catastrophic. Little pricey, and they don't hold much over 1/0 depending on style, But smaller than that are very compact, some with nice cases.

thanks, Bob H

If you knock that box on the floor you're screwed sad.png

Then just don't knock it on the floor, Nerm.

Joe

gee why didnt i think of that!

9pxR.gif

but as you all know, shit happens!

You are right. And as you lament, Think Before You Assume!wink.png

Joe

These little boxes with a magnet strip glued in.organized by type. This is my gamakatsi stinger box, I've got a streamer hook box, dries, nymphs...

post-44101-0-80319400-1564682048_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting these. I need to reorganize. I like the individual screw on tops. I have knocked my multi-compartment box over before. I am going to reorganize all of my tying stuff.

post-60546-0-74965400-1565456800_thumb.jpeg

Darice 82 piece bead storage for trout hooks. They have mixed size boxes that would fit larger hooks within the same system.

post-60546-0-40570700-1565456969_thumb.jpg

Competitive Angler sells them for $50, but Amazon often has good prices. Sometimes very good. Anywhere from $15-$25 or so for a tray set, and you can add / replace with different size boxes as you go.

More than I'd like to spend but it's great. The individual boxes have a rounded edge on the bottom and a secure locking top for each box. The trays stack and accommodate all the different size (modular) boxes in one tray. I have tried using for many types of materials in the trays, but the best use is hooks and, of course, beads.

That space looks good, Poopdeck. My only problem with original packaging for hooks is pulling ONE out. Always seem to catch more than one on my crotchet needle or with my tweezers ... and the extras, of course, drop all over the place.

I use small containers from Dollar Tree. They come in two sizes. The large one is approximately 1.5" tall by 1" diameter. The small one is (approx.) 1" x 3/4".

https://www.dollartree.com/crafters-square-mini-storage-containers/177607

Mike, when you die, Dollar Tree's stock is going to tank! Hahaha

Mike, when you die, Dollar Tree's stock is going to tank! Hahaha

I don't know if their stock will suffer ... but the Central Florida stores might have to close down !!!